April 16, 2024, 02:51:42 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My "Entitlement Issues"

Started by Keys Girl, November 16, 2011, 07:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keys Girl

I recently heard a friend of mine talk about her entitlement issues going forward.  Since most of the talk, in my experience is about the next generation younger than mine having "entitlement issues", I thought it was refreshing for her to put a new spin on it.  She talked about what she felt she was entitled to at this point in her life and it got me to thinking about my own entitlement issues.

So, just in case anyone was wondering, here they are - I am entitled to:

A. Peace and quiet in my own home, no matter how modest it may be.
B. The ability to refuse to consider to answer any and all questions that I may consider to be intrusive or tiresome be it "What kind of sandwich did you have for lunch?" or "Who is in your will?"
C. Foster the the attitude in thought and deed that I am now "put out to pasture", my days of mothering a small child, working like a slave to pay all the bills, dealing with a hostile and combative ex-husband so his son can have a relationship with him and trying to complete a "to do" list of laundry, grocery shopping, cooking and commuting in addition to everything else that would choke a horse are over.  Its my little pasture, and I'm gonna do what I please, whether it's standing around all day chewing the grass day or kicking up my heels.
D. A good night's sleep where I don't worry about how anyone else decides to live their life or try to have their life impact mine on a negative basis.

If you have any "entitlement issues", feel free to add them below.
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

Pooh

A.  I am entitled to surround myself with people that like me, love me or want to spend time with me, even if that just turns out to be the neighborhood dog.

B.  I am entitled to be upset when I feel I am being treated unfairly, disrespectfully and unkindly.

C.  I am entitled to laugh when I feel someone thinks they are entitled to more than me and when I can't laugh, refer to B.

D.  I am entitled to have ethics, morals and manners even when the other party doesn't and then they can use my entitlement B.

E.  I am entitled to change my mind and make mistakes.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

lancaster lady

I am entitled to say NO when my DD presents me with her dentist's bill !

Will think of more , but that;s the one that is annoying me just now !

PatiencePlease

Oooh, I love this thread.....

I am entitled to "just be," without worrying about trampling on any eggshells........

:)

Can't wait to see what everybody else posts here.

Scoop

The one I heard was that the "Entitled Generation" have been told all through high school that they have to go to university and get a degree so that they don't end up flipping burgers for a living.  They've been told they can do anything and BE anything.  And now, after getting their degree, they're being called "entitled" because they don't want to flip burgers for a living!

As for me:

I'm entitled to my opinions but I have to remember that there's a HUGE difference between "Go Our Team!" and "Your Team SUCKS!"

I'm entitled to raise my child how *I* deem best.  Yes, *I*. *I* am her main caregiver and *I* get the final vote.

I'm entitled to being treated with civility by everyone.  Anyone failing that low standard, is not worthy of further consideration.

catchingup

"I am entitled to ice cream and chocolate sauce"
Without feeling I may add a few gram ::)

MoonChild

This is a very interesting thread; I am now pondering and compiling my list. However, through this process I am struck by a thought: what if the things we genuinely feel entitled to are also the cause of some of our 'issues', in that they counter another's feelings of entitlement? Is what Mom feels entitled to different from that of Son, DIL, Daughter, Sister, ETC? Some Moms feel entitled to their son while the son's wife may feel a sense of entitlement to her husband, and thus issues may arise. How do we know where to draw the line to keep ourselves from entitlements and expectations that may lead to disappointment and possible dilemas with others?

Eggshelz1

I am entitled to post more than once in this thread. Hint hint.......

Keys Girl

Quote from: MoonChild on November 16, 2011, 12:45:09 PM
This is a very interesting thread; I am now pondering and compiling my list. However, through this process I am struck by a thought: what if the things we genuinely feel entitled to are also the cause of some of our 'issues', in that they counter another's feelings of entitlement? Is what Mom feels entitled to different from that of Son, DIL, Daughter, Sister, ETC? Some Moms feel entitled to their son while the son's wife may feel a sense of entitlement to her husband, and thus issues may arise. How do we know where to draw the line to keep ourselves from entitlements and expectations that may lead to disappointment and possible dilemas with others?

I think entitlements are for myself, what I need and want for my quality of life but expectations are what I might have for others.  I thinks it's a good idea to keep your expectations low so as not to be disappointed.  Just my point of view.

Keys Girl

Quote from: Eggshelz1 on November 16, 2011, 05:54:26 PM
I am entitled to post more than once in this thread. Hint hint.......

Sure, why not, I'm going to go looking for some chocolate sauce......that was a great post.

Eggshelz1

I am entitled to some respect from the jerks in my life.

Eggshelz1

I am entitled to ask and receive the answer to a question about this board. After you post and you realize you made a mistake in said post, how can you edit the post? (Tonight's mantra is 'post post post'.)

Thanks in advance. You are entitled to that.

luise.volta

You just post what you want removed and poof! Your request can go the same way. :-)

I am entitled to be exactly the way I am. I do not need to apologize, change or explain. That's the good news! The "bed" news is the same thing is true for everyone else. Darn!

I am entitled to have a dog, let her sleep with me and it's OK for her to lick my plates. (This may seriously limit the number of people who accept my dinner invitations, if they find this site.)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Moonchild, great point!  On that note, I think the people that believe in compromise, like me, should add:

I am entitled to have my beliefs, but understand and accept that so does the other party.  When those beliefs are different, I am entitled to compromise and be unselfish, with the hope that the other party feels the same.  When the beliefs are so vastly different that I can't compromise or they can't, because doing so will compromise my "self" or their "self", I am entitled to agree to disagree and move on and hope that the other party feels the same.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb