March 28, 2024, 12:24:12 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Alternatives to family holiday plans

Started by Begonia, November 12, 2011, 06:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Begonia

Thought I would post some alternatives to spending the holidays with family.  One thing that has been fun for me is to go on some holiday trips with Road Scholar.  Look on their website for dozens of trips--some expensive and some not.  One year I went to Prescott, AZ where we listened to cowboy poetry, ate some great meals and sat on Santa's lap.  A lot of fun people.

Another year I was in Cuba where it was only recently that they had been allowed to even have a Christmas tree, so that was very interesting.

I have looked at trips to Iceland where they have great fireworks on Christmas. 

Anyway, there is no reason we have to stay home and wait for a call that may or may not arrive.  The world awaits.  Anybody have suggestions for interesting things to do without family?
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift (Eleanor Roosevelt)

pam1

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Doe

Apparently  alot of people visited WWU last Christmas:

Most Online Ever: 125 (December 25, 2010, 05:30:20 PM)

pam1

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Begonia

Now THAT is a great idea....here is a place to hang out where people all care and are concerned for us.  There could be a thread for Thanksgiving (days before, day of, day after) and another thread for Christmas.  It would be so great to know we are not alone.  Our very own WW family event!!!   Love you WW for all you add to my life!!!  Hugs all around.  And a bit of pumpkin pie and real whipped cream with maybe a little hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps to follow!!  Yippee! 
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift (Eleanor Roosevelt)

elsieshaye

A friend of mine at work was very sad because the custody arrangement she and her ex-husband have stipulates that he gets the kids for thanksgiving this year, and her boyfriend will be out of town.  So she and I are going to go to her sister's house for a little while, and then go see a movie/have Chinese food.  (Of course, a week after making those plans with her, I started dating someone.  I've already told him, conversationally, that I'm not around for Thanksgiving, because I don't want to be one of those awful friends who ditches existing plans and becomes invisible when they start dating someone.  Besides, nothing says that he and I can't get together later in the evening for, um, dessert if he turns out to be alone that day and wants to see me!) :D
This too shall pass.  All is well.

Begonia

Pen

Go, Elsie! No wonder you haven't been around lately...   ;)  And good on ya for not bailing on the girlfriend when the guy showed up. My mom drilled that one into my head. I remember being broken-hearted when my girlfriends would cancel on me if a guy called.

After aperitifs, a bottle of wine, after-dinner drinks, turkey, and family drama, we should all be in great shape for posting  ;D

DH said something hilarious today: "Do you really start cooking 4 days before Thanksgiving?" I guess he thought it all magically came together the day of.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

amflautist

Quote from: Pen on November 14, 2011, 09:52:38 PM
DH said something hilarious today: "Do you really start cooking 4 days before Thanksgiving?" I guess he thought it all magically came together the day of.

My DH is the same.  He loves to have big dinner parties.  He loves to invite all the foreign students to our house for Thanksgiving dinner.  And he always says, "Don't spend all day cooking."

Pen

I know you love to cook, AM, but once, just once, don't you want to say, "OK, dear" and then order in? Tee hee
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

sesamejane

Well plans are changing cause I'm 'hangin' loose...

I bought an organic turkey ....  and even if I do not celebrate with anyone (although I think sis is coming for xmas), I just have to have left over turkey in the house.

Thanksgiving will be with new relatives about 2 hours away.  They are from my father's side of the family, and I only just met them about a year ago.  What the heck.... :)

Pen

Jane, I have to have leftovers too. The perks of cooking the dinner, IMO. Enjoy getting to know the relatives; how nice to have family around, even if they're "new."
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

My DH wanted to run in a local race here that is sponsored on Thanksgiving morning.  He's been training for it.  So I will be sitting on the side of the road on Thanksgiving morning, with a glitter sign, rooting him on!  Still will visit families in the afternoon, but a totally different start to my Thanksgiving!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

newhera

wherever we go, as long as I'm with my family, I'm happy enough :)