March 28, 2024, 03:04:08 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Dr. Phil and WWU

Started by cocobars, February 19, 2010, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cocobars

February 19, 2010, 09:27:47 PM Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:40:52 PM by cocobars
Please post your votes here on the following posts.

The subject was brought up today on another thread, that Dr. Phil had aired a show about MIL and DIL relationships.  He referenced another site on his thread and even had the founders of that site on his show to talk about how the started the site.

Some of us here felt that (as the other site referenced was a DIL hate site) we should contact the Dr. Phil show and tell them about this site.  Basically letting them know that "not all MIL's" are evil...

I've tried to copy and paste the conversation about this in the following post. After reading through, please let us know what your vote or opinion is...

cocobars

February 19, 2010, 09:35:19 PM #1 Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:02:20 PM by cocobars
I watched DR.Phil,the DIL was not a very nice person.DR.Phil told her it was cruel to keep the GC from seeing their Gramma.
I logged on to DR.Phil's web site,and read the blog,the comments on the show.Most of the comments were not very good about the DIL,and they blamed her for the problems between them.
I read the checklist that will warn you of in-law issues before you tie the knot.
My DIL's Mother fits almost all of these!!!!!but I'm the one that gets shoved out....go figure.
He even showed a web site   Motherinlawhell.com..........he needs to look at our web site.
I'm going to e-mail him and let him know that it's not just bad MIL's.

Did any one else get the chance to see this today?I know renny did,but she is at work now.
Report to moderator    Logged
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cocobars

Coco

Re: What do you do to take a break?
« Reply #38 on: Today at 06:09:40 PM »Quote Modify Remove I missed it!  I really wanted to see it though, and will probably go check out the website.  motherinlawhell.com??  Yes, he needs to check out this website.

Thanks for the update, Mominwaiting!

Report to moderator    173.73.88.101
coco

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

luise.volta

[thumbs up on this post] [thumbs down on this post]
Luise Volta

« Reply #39 on: Today at 06:11:12 PM »Quote You go, girl!
Without challenge, adventure is impossible.

cocobars

Coco

« Reply #40 on: Today at 06:18:10 PM »Quote Modify Remove See?  You even have Luise's blessing!  Dr. Phil needs to see a "good" IL site in action. 

This could be good!

Luise?  Are you ready for more publicity?
coco

Mominwaiting

« Reply #41 on: Today at 06:27:27 PM »Quote Yes it could !!!!!
Luise,you should REALLY consider going on the show!!!!
I'm serious.

Would you?

cocobars

Coco

« Reply #42 on: Today at 06:31:03 PM »Quote Modify Remove I don't think she saw the post before she left, but I still think it's a good idea to write in about this site.  Dr. Phil may be able to look here for ideas about a future show.  That would help all of us too, to get all of the ideas to help us from that show! 

Great idea Mominwaiting! 
coco

Mominwaiting

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:36:51 PM »Quote Coco,you can go to DR.Phil's website and watch the show they had on that.........it was good!!!

EVERYBODY should go there and watch,and register,and e-mail him.
I'm really hoping my DIL and her mother watched the show today.

DR.Phil needs to know about our DIL's and Robin.........she would really feel our pain,she is about to be Gramma!!!!

cocobars

Coco

« Reply #44 on: Today at 06:45:58 PM »Quote Modify Remove I'm going to go check it out... 

Thanks again!
coco

I watched DR.Phil,the DIL was not a very nice person.DR.Phil told her it was cruel to keep the GC from seeing their Gramma.
I logged on to DR.Phil's web site,and read the blog,the comments on the show.Most of the comments were not very good about the DIL,and they blamed her for the problems between them.
I read the checklist that will warn you of in-law issues before you tie the knot.
My DIL's Mother fits almost all of these!!!!!but I'm the one that gets shoved out....go figure.
He even showed a web site   Motherinlawhell.com..........he needs to look at our web site.
I'm going to e-mail him and let him know that it's not just bad MIL's.

Did any one else get the chance to see this today?I know renny did,but she is at work now.

cocobars

Coco

« Reply #38 on: Today at 06:09:40 PM »Quote Modify Remove I missed it!  I really wanted to see it though, and will probably go check out the website.  motherinlawhell.com??  Yes, he needs to check out this website.

Thanks for the update, Mominwaiting!

coco

luise.volta

Luise Volta

« Reply #39 on: Today at 06:11:12 PM »Quote You go, girl!

cocobars

Coco

« Reply #40 on: Today at 06:18:10 PM »Quote Modify Remove See?  You even have Luise's blessing!  Dr. Phil needs to see a "good" IL site in action. 

This could be good!

Luise?  Are you ready for more publicity?
coco

Mominwaiting

« Reply #41 on: Today at 06:27:27 PM »Quote Yes it could !!!!!
Luise,you should REALLY consider going on the show!!!!
I'm serious.

Would you?

cocobars

Coco

« Reply #42 on: Today at 06:31:03 PM »Quote Modify Remove I don't think she saw the post before she left, but I still think it's a good idea to write in about this site.  Dr. Phil may be able to look here for ideas about a future show.  That would help all of us too, to get all of the ideas to help us from that show! 

Great idea Mominwaiting! 
coco

Mominwaiting

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:36:51 PM »Quote Coco,you can go to DR.Phil's website and watch the show they had on that.........it was good!!!

EVERYBODY should go there and watch,and register,and e-mail him.
I'm really hoping my DIL and her mother watched the show today.

DR.Phil needs to know about our DIL's and Robin.........she would really feel our pain,she is about to be Gramma!!!!

cocobars

Coco

« Reply #44 on: Today at 06:45:58 PM »Quote Modify Remove I'm going to go check it out... 

Thanks again!
coco

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

luise.volta

C/C - Would you move over the rest? I continued to write two more posts about this on the other thread. Thanks!I deeply appreciate you.

I'm also looking forward to feedback from C/B on this!

Headed for bed, now. I still sleep with one eye open even though I have a key pad alarm system should my guy decide to wander off in the night.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

cocobars

Here are the rest:

Luise Volta

« Reply #54 on: Today at 09:07:31 PM »Quote If you pick up even a smattering of his stereotyping MILs, and possibly making scape goats out of us for the sake of entertainment, we will bring nothing but ridicule down on us. What we say can so easily be misinterpreted. If we call that kind of negative attention to our site, we could undo eight months of work in a New York second. We don't want to be hit with a wave of hate that has nothing to do with us.

Lets see what the others say. I value your opinion highly and I think we should exercise extreme caution here. Tippy-toe...tippy toe...

If I had the time and energy I would research this with you but I have little of either, in my circumstances. I love our Web-forum with all my heart and each and every one of you, individually.

cocobars

Coco

« Reply #55 on: Today at 09:24:31 PM »Quote Modify Remove I am definately tippy-toing!  But I will continue to look into this while everyone checks out these transcripts.  Please let me know what you think also. 

I'm with Luise here, and I know you ladies are too!  We "want" this site preserved for us and those yet to come.  This is a safe place for our healing.  The only concern I have is preservation.

Please give me your thoughts and feelings on this.  ok?

coco

penstamen

« Reply #56 on: Today at 09:32:35 PM »Quote I've become very protective of our site, too. Things could get turned around and misrepresented. It's hard to guess which way it would go.

luise.volta

Luise Volta

« Reply #57 on: Today at 09:42:03 PM »Quote I just want to add that I'm not sure we need the publicity and the possible issues that might come with it. We are "growing" a community and look what we have done in nine months...quite a gestation, I would say. When we hit 9 months, we gave birth to a new name in an effort to catch up with ourselves. Our pace has been realistic and our foundation has been carefully built. We have mutual respect, tolerance and understanding. Healing is rampant. Best to be a bit protective.

Our site is my son's gift to us...but if we'd had to pay a top-notch webmaster the going rate to design and maintain it, we'd probably still be at the piggy-bank stage because it would cost us thousands. It's a precious gift and we might be wise to keep it out of the limelight and let it continue to grow at its own pace.

This isn't abut shyness on my part. I was publicly recognized twice in the Fall for my two websites and my work as an e-volunteer. I think I will put up the newspaper article that was written about me, (there were three but I like this one best)... for you to read. I don't know where...Success Stories? I have no aversion to visibility or accolades but I don't need, either. Yes, that would be fun. I'll get around to doing that soon and I will include the acceptance speech I made after I was presented with a trophy and non-profit grant at a very posh    affair in Seattle.

cocobars

Coco

« Reply #58 on: Today at 09:45:28 PM »Quote Modify Remove That's what worries me too, Penstamen.  I've started a new post to see what everyone thinks.  Please go to Dr. Phil and WWU and leave all opinions there.  This will help us decide what to do.

Of course, I would appreciate anyone who has the time to do so, going on Dr. Phil's site drphil.com and checking out today's show.  I wasn't impressed, but I may be the only one with reservations. 

That's all we need to know.  Is this worth pursuing, or will we be opening a can of worms for this site?
coco

cocobars

Coco

Any thoughts are welcome.  Luise will make all final decisions...
coco

cocobars

And the rest (Please forgive the copy/paste excess):

luise.volta

Luise Volta

« Reply #60 on: Today at 09:59:16 PM »Quote Can you double post these contributions, C/C? Or is there a way to just move everything over and then I can delete what is here. Cumbersome. I know there's a way to do it. Maybe I can change the subject title and we can go on here. I will try. Hold off and I wil see if I can do that. Wish I was a "techie!"

renny97

Plant your own garden...

« Reply #61 on: Today at 10:01:49 PM »Quote I know, I would not appear on the show.

I always see extremes when this topic is addressed on his show. A sensible MIL, that knows she cannot call all day long and expect that to be okay. The son should not allow that. This guy did. Then, almost because of that, the DIL, has more ammo to stomp on.

Even though it has been rocky with my DIL, I have just recently started standing up for myself. I am not ready for more confrontation. I know she won't change until she realizes the power she has given to her domineering family. They respect no one. For now, I have no plans of ever being around her family again. They can take their smirks and sneers and enjoy themselves. School is out, for me.

I can live with the real me. I have another quote I like;

"I'd rather be loathed for who I am,
than be loved for someone I am not."

This is healing and peaceful here. Unless, there would be some way to communicate with his show and get our perspective out there and  maybe not reveal the website?

luise.volta

Did I do it? Did I perform a "Split Topic" successfully and take the Dr. Phil off of the "What do you do for a break" thread? I have so much to learn. wish I had more time!

Going to bed, now...really!!!

cocobars

Quote from: luise.volta on February 19, 2010, 10:10:18 PM
Did I do it? Did I perform a "Split Topic" successfully and take the Dr. Phil off of the "What do you do for a break" thread? I have so much to learn. wish I had more time!

Going to bed, now...really!!!
You did Great! Only one problem..  Now we have two!  Do you want me to delete this one?  The other one is better!

cocobars

These posts didn't copy over well at all.  For some reason, I have double copies of some and we are missing others. Maybe exhaustion?

Anyway, what happened last night was that I went on his site and checked the "Friday" show on IL's.  I coudn't view the show, but from what I read on the transcripts, he was very one-sided toward the DIL and I believe he was hard on the MIL.  He referenced another site on his show; "motherinlawhell.com" which is one of the hate sites, and even had the "founders" there talking about their site and how it was started. 

I believe from reading these transcripts, the Dr. Phil has sort of a prejudice against MIL's and do not want to bring bad attention on this site here.  It is precious to all of us and I'm afraid of which way the publicity would fall on us.  I do not want to invite more hurt here on anyone or damage this "safe place" in any way.

Mominwaiting and I were discussing telling him about this web-site, and until I checked out his website and the transcripts of this show (on IL's) I thought it was a great idea. 

My worry in bringing attention to this site is that instead of publicising us as a "good IL site" we could very well be put in a bad light, as you never know what will happen on his show.  I wouldn't want to put anyone here out in the open for further hurt and believe we have all been hurt enough.

Please check Dr. Phils site "drphil.com" and bring your opinion to this post. 

Vote yes (you believe we should keep pursuing his show),
or vote no (you believe we should stop).

All final decisions wil be made by Luise.

We look forward to everyone's opinion in this posting.  As of right now, I am not going to pursue this any further until we have all put in opinions and a decision is made.

luise.volta

R / has suggested somewhere that we might try to be heard and remain anonymous but I think that's nearly impossible, don't you? If someone wants to find us, they will.

Having slept on it last night...I've decided that I don't want to take it further. Certainly further discussion here is fine but I am going to say no to going beyond that. If I'm overprotective, so be it. I love you all.

cocobars

Quote from: luise.volta on February 20, 2010, 07:16:32 AM

R / has suggested somewhere that we might try to be heard and remain anonymous but I think that's nearly impossible, don't you? If someone wants to find us, they will.

Having slept on it last night...I've decided that I don't want to take it further. Certainly further discussion here is fine but I am going to say no to going beyond that. If I'm overprotective, so be it. I love you all.
I felt the same way this morning.  This site is a precious place for so many of us, and I don't want to do anything to change that - for any of us.

We love you too, Luise!  Feel that!  It's a big hug from me!

It was worth looking into.  I just wasn't comfortable with what I saw there.

luise.volta

From Renny: (but it didn't find it's way to this topic.) Luise

I know, I would not appear on the show.

I always see extremes when this topic is addressed on his show. A sensible MIL, that knows she cannot call all day long and expect that to be okay. The son should not allow that. This guy did. Then, almost because of that, the DIL, has more ammo to stomp on.

Even though it has been rocky with my DIL, I have just recently started standing up for myself. I am not ready for more confrontation. I know she won't change until she realizes the power she has given to her domineering family. They respect no one. For now, I have no plans of ever being around her family again. They can take their smirks and sneers and enjoy themselves. School is out, for me.

I can live with the real me. I have another quote I like;

"I'd rather be loathed for who I am,
than be loved for someone I am not."
;)

This is healing and peaceful here. Unless, there would be some way to communicate with his show and get our perspective out there and  maybe not reveal the website?

Marilyn

I agree Luise,you have gave us a "safe haven" to come to,and it has helped us all heal and go forward.It would not be worth taking the chance of being not understood,and ridiculed!!!!

And i agree Coco,it would be opening a can of worms.

I'm going to go back and watch the show again,i must of missed the part that Renny said the MIL called every day.

I also didn't think he was so one sided against the MIL though.And a  different DIL called in,saying her MIL was coming to visit,she didn't sound very happy about it.He told her if she only comes a couple of times a year she should treat her well,she should be able to even stand on her head,if thats what it took.

I'm going to go watch again.

We have to remember too.......whats The most important thing for DR.Phil.....his ratings!!!

The most important thing for us............each other!!!!!!

cocobars

Quote from: Mominwaiting on February 20, 2010, 09:06:57 AM
I agree Luise,you have gave us a "safe haven" to come to,and it has helped us all heal and go forward.It would not be worth taking the chance of being not understood,and ridiculed!!!!

And i agree Coco,it would be opening a can of worms.

I'm going to go back and watch the show again,i must of missed the part that Renny said the MIL called every day.

I also didn't think he was so one sided against the MIL though.And a  different DIL called in,saying her MIL was coming to visit,she didn't sound very happy about it.He told her if she only comes a couple of times a year she should treat her well,she should be able to even stand on her head,if thats what it took.

I'm going to go watch again.

We have to remember too.......whats The most important thing for DR.Phil.....his ratings!!!

The most important thing for us............each other!!!!!!
Hi Mominwaiting!
I couldn't find a way to watch the show last night.  I had to read through the transcripts.  Maybe the show looked and sounded better than the transcripts?  The last part of the transcripts that I read was not encouraging.  Dr. Phil was sort of putting the husband down for siding with his mother, and the mother had been told not to buy gifts, etc (sound familiar), but she was still doing that.  Dr. Phil told her that she wasn't honoring her DIL's requests. 

That spelled T-R-O-U-B-L-E- for me.  Something I didn't want to invite to a place so precious and meaningful to us all.  TV shows like his can be unpredictable.  You never know if we will be viewed in a good light, or a bad one.  I was a little afraid of that can of invisible worms I thought might open!  LOL!

I just didn't want to pursue something that would hurt everyone here, even though I was excited at first at the thought of expanding this site.  It could go in another direction.

RedRose

February 20, 2010, 09:33:26 AM #13 Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:44:27 AM by RedRose
I don't think it is a good idea.  I come here for help and guidance from the Wise and Understanding ladies here.
I certainly do not want my story advertised on TV...it could cause problems for a lot of us.
Dr. Phil (I feel) is a very confrontational person...He can't always be right.
He makes money for what he does...and I don't think his show would benefit any of us.

luise.volta

M/ said - "The most important thing for DR.Phil.....his ratings!!!

The most important thing for us............each other!!!!!!"

I love that.   ;D ;D