March 28, 2024, 02:24:43 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What do you do to take a break?

Started by renny97, February 17, 2010, 12:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renny97

;D I had a packzi (felt like my name was "Goodyear" after that). Was wondering when things get stressful, how do you take time for something fun or nice?

Still love my bubble baths.....
"String-game" with cats (2)......
Love to read, but haven't lately...
Love cutting the grass in summertime.....and gardening.

luise.volta

I go to my computer and connect with Wise Women! Seriously! ;D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Me too, Luise. And I'm addicted to the indie movies on netflix. I also enjoy hiking, reading, gardening and being creative. Oh, and a cup of tea can be just the thing!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

renny97

Anyone watching "American Idol" tonight? It will be on in 45 minutes here in MIdwest.

2chickiebaby

I will be, Renny!!  Why just 45 minutes there?

renny97

I meant to say it will be on at 9 p.m. (which is in 45 min. from now). It lasts an hour. I can see the mix up.

2chickiebaby

Does anyone watch The Bachelor?  (I know, it's really silly but I love the drama)

My favorite reality show was The Real Housewives Of New Jersey.  Lord!! What a family!!

It was hilarious when Teresa flipped over the table in the restaurant!  And that Danielle?!!!!!  Wowza!  She was the villain. 

Teresa's husband always said, "happy wife, happy life".  She paid for everything in cash!!

renny97

5 minutes to show time.....

I don't like the new Bachelor Shows.....goes too far..

I am a talk show "nut." I work afternoons, and catch the ones earlier.

luise.volta

Hobbies: Well, my art form is interior decorating. And before Val needed me at home with him, I sang in our mixed chorus. I am outlining a book on how to age wisely. I love to interact with those far and dear by email and I Skype with my grandson in Paris and my great grand kids in high school and college. I record one soap (Y & R) and 1/2 hr. of news on my DVR and watch both in the evening. I don't turn on the TV otherwise. I like to serve as secretary of one or the other of our two resident associations on our senior retirement campus. And I have counseling Website that is very active: www.MomResponds.com I read mysteries, usually but not always female authors and protagonists. And until I recently (Nov. 20th) broke my tibia, I worked out at Curves three times a week. Manage that and other important things like seeing the dentist before Val wakes up at 11:00 AM. Hope to return in to Curves in March. I belong to a Caregivers Support Group here on campus, a Peer Support Group at our Senior Center and I am in counseling just on general principles. That is free and will end at the end of April. I love Astrology, although I don't remember much and Tarot and get readings from a gal in California twice a year. I'm interested in quantum physics and have studied Matrix Energetics.

Stuff like that...

renny97

;) Wow, I SEE how you stay so young. (Phew!)

I am into astrology and have gone to the same site for years. It is so accurate! I mean, down to details. I almost rush to look up my scope for the month to see what I am in for...I don't know if I can mention it?

I didn't mention that I love to draw, paint, and fix up used furniture. I painted and designed an old bench for GC's toys (now, it has become a lonely fixure). In happier times, I love comedy and stand-up comedians/commediennes. I've yet to go in person. Although, one is coming to our area and I most likely won't be able to go.

Pen

No doubt about it, we are a varied and interesting bunch. Luise, you're a great role model on aging with sass and vigor :) As Penn and Teller once said, "Never stop learning!"
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Actually I sit with Val a lot. I'm not a high energy "run here/dash there" person. That stuff is spread out over time. And I really admire "artsy craftsy" people that sew, refinish furniture, etc. I used t wallpaper! :)

luise.volta

And I'm a great believer that there's only expansion and contraction. Hovering doesn't exist except for humming birds!  ;D

cocobars

My breaks depend on the time of year.  My favorite break has grown to be this site.  LOL! In the spring, summer and fall though, I do lots of gardening - flowers and vegetables, including strawberries.  My parents have concord grape vines and I'm still learning about them.  If anyone knows how to prune them and encourage more grapes, please let me know.  My mother loves them.  I have a spectacular rose garden.  My father let me take over when I moved in and I just keep adding each year.

I also love baking and cooking.  Like to take long walks but not this time of year.  This is when I get fat!  LOL!  I have an eliptical machine, but I don't use it like I should - so my hobby with lately has been getting the dust off.  I usually start on it about March.  I love to read self-help books and they have helped me keep my chin up, pre-wise women.  I crochet.  Everybody loves blankets so that's mostly a winter hobby.  The blankets keep me warm while I'm sewing so it's hard to do in summer and nobody likes to get a "sweaty" blanket!  I also love interior decorating.  Have recently re-done my parents sun porch for them and they sat and stared at it for hours and days.  Made my heart sing!  Renny, I also love re-finishing furniture.  I have gotten some looks from family members buying old furniture at yard sales, but they fight over who gets it when I'm finished!  They stop questioning the purchase now, but it took them some time.  Almost everyone in the family has something I refinished for them.  One year I bought old furniture and gave everyone a  piece of furniture for Christmas.  They loved it, but storage was a problem.  I ended up covering things and stacking finished pieces in a shed.

cremebrulee

when I get stressed, I try first, to understand the reason for the stress/depression and then to bring light and joy to mind, by thinking of things that make me happy, happy moments in my life, people and places I've met or seen...or nature...then I try and pull in all the positive energy and feelings of love...

then I plan some thing for myself to look forward to, like a short sight seeing trip or a weekend away.  I used to find all the reasons to be sad, or feel sorry for myself...now, I try and realize, people are people, and I won't let them hurt me...so, I take my dog for a walk, read a book, think about getting into sewing again...or plan a weekend trip away...I get in the car, with no real destination in mind, and drive...and where ever small town I come to I stop...stay the night.  A lot of times, I'll go fishing...stay overnight, treat myself to a nice dinner, go to my room, watch a little TV after a walk, talk to people....then get to bed, up at 4 a.m. for an early start, and go out fishing.

We spend our whole lives working, be it raising our kids being a stay at home mom...and I've learned, I have to treat myself...which brings my spirits up and helps me sustain....makes me happy to sit and watch other people having fun, playing volley ball at the shore, or watching families....listening to classical music...soothing the soul....

I love my independence and aloneness...I'm alone but not lonely...life is to short and I want to enjoy every last precious moment of it, meeting people and seeing things...going places I've never been before...you'd be surprised what views lurk in your own back yards....LOL