March 28, 2024, 01:20:56 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Lack if advertising on this site

Started by forever spring, November 06, 2011, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forever spring

I just wanted to say quickly how wonderful it is that there is no advertising on this site. There are other forums which are full with adverts, it's distracting etc. as you can't get away.
I will buy a goat from Save the Children for Christmas and dedicate it to all of you here at WWU who keep this forum what it is - a safe haven! Thanks again.

Doe

forever spring

Yep, we've been doing this for a few years now amongst the adults of the family. The goat or other useful things, water pumps etc. go to communities in Africa or other places where they are needed. I never see the goat myself or get to chose the animal but I have enough trust in the charity of my choice to believe it's going where they say it is going to.

Check out the following websites:

http://goafrica.about.com/b/2005/11/27/give-a-goat-this-christmas.htm

http://www.goatsforchristmas.com/

Pen

My favorite sort of charity. I've given bees, chickens, llamas, and pigs. Great fun!

Another good idea is the micro-bank where you can lend money to an emerging entrepreneur who then repays you when they get the business up and running. $25 goes a long way in many countries! You can take the repayment or reinvest it in another enterprise. www.kiva.org I've given gift certs to friends and family members who don't want or need anything; they enjoy going online, choosing the recipient, and keeping up with their progress.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

elsieshaye

Seconding kiva.org!  (And thanks, Chelms and Pen for reminding me about charitable giving in lieu of stuff.  This year, that's where my Christmas money will go.  I'm not going to have them send DS a card, though.  He'd see that as a dig, and not at all how I intend it.)
This too shall pass.  All is well.

sesamejane

I think I'll buy us a tree in the middle east....thanks for the idea!  Plaque will say:

With love, Wise Women United

FAFE

I think I will just buy a case of wine and invite you all over!  What'll you have? 

I will even throw in some cheese and crackers. 

pam1

Quote from: FAFE on November 09, 2011, 03:46:58 PM
I think I will just buy a case of wine and invite you all over!  What'll you have? 

I will even throw in some cheese and crackers.

Sounds like a plan to me.  I'll make some mojitos :)
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

forever spring

Dear All,
just when I thought I was in a good space the advertisements have started. I don't know about you but I do get really questionable adverts such as dating s... women from disadvantaged countries. That is so against the spirit of this site that I feel I cannot belong here any more and do not feel safe to post personal problems.
I'm really really sorry about this and do not want to give grief to Luise and Kirk who have done such a marvellous job in the past. I also do understand that advertising generates much needed financial support but the kind of sites that appear now make me feel insecure.

Is it not possible to only allow bona fide advertising on forums such as this one and filter the objectionable ones? I'm not against the idea of advertising in general and would not mind if it was for books, good causes or even cars etc. etc.

If I'm the only one receiving these kind of spam adverts please let me know. I will have to look into this from my side.

Doe

As I understand it, Adsense generates ads based on the site content as well as browser information from individual computers.    I see ads on my webpage that are for local businesses in my area. Right now, they are educational grants for women. 

I don't have any problem with the ads since otherwise, Luise and Kirk have to pay all the operating costs of the the website.  If enough people donated, then they wouldn't have to have the ads there. 

pam1

Chelms, I suggest clearing your browsing history and cookies.  I'm not seeing any of these ads (not that I don't believe you, I do) but my understanding of how this works (and it's on probably a good 90% of free message boards) is that it displays ads that it feels the user would click on.  That's where the cookies and internet history come into play.

So say you're googling "wise women unite" every day instead of the site being bookmarked....the ad will pick up the keyword "women" and display something along those lines to you, thinking you would be interested.

I understand your concern but I think there is a way to work around it, try clearing your cookies and history. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

forever spring

Thanks for that, I will try and do that. I'm the only one using this computer so can't really understand how this spam should happen but will try your suggestion and keep you posted. I do understand that to keep this forum going generating funds is necessary.