April 25, 2024, 03:36:53 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My son is pushing me out of his life

Started by Hope, February 15, 2010, 01:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelythere

Quote from: Pen on October 19, 2010, 06:49:25 PM
You're so right, BT. We did raise good guys. I'm proud of how my DS can fit in and be poised and polite with people from different cultures/origins/lifestyles. I'm willing to change a bit for DIL so that he can remain a part of my life.

But we're not going to remove our silly stocking tradition  :)

Don't change a second of it, so glad!!!  :) 

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Hope

I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts.  It sounds like you all have such fun memories of long ago.  Lots of laughs.  You are wonderful mothers and were very involved with your kids - you deserve the very best!  And no Christmas gifts b/c Christmas is for kids?  Nonsense!  I don't blame you for being hurt.  That is the perfect opportunity for them to show you their appreciation for being the great parents you are:)   Your homes sound so warm and loving.  Your ds/dil's are really missing out!  Don't change - you ladies are above all the games and drama.
Lots of hugs and love your way, Hope

barelythere

Quote from: Hope on October 19, 2010, 08:34:33 PM
I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts.  It sounds like you all have such fun memories of long ago.  Lots of laughs.  You are wonderful mothers and were very involved with your kids - you deserve the very best!  And no Christmas gifts b/c Christmas is for kids?  Nonsense!  I don't blame you for being hurt.  That is the perfect opportunity for them to show you their appreciation for being the great parents you are:)   Your homes sound so warm and loving.  Your ds/dil's are really missing out!  Don't change - you ladies are above all the games and drama.

Hope, you are so sweet and I appreciate what you said.  I'm trying! :)

jomama

These holiday threads have got me thinking what to do this year. I have been "Mrs. Santa Claus" for 14 years, especially the last few years that they've lived with me. A tree in every room, real holiday music- Dino, Bing,Frank; even hats for the horses- I'd decorate anything that held still long enough ;D  But this year they won't be here. Since Christmas has been all about the 'littles' for so long, I'll make this year all about the 'bigs'. I'm trying to concentrate on who is here, instead of who isn't.  Sounds good, but so far my heart just isn't listening.  :(
Today was my birthday and DD refused to let them call me- but she did relay what gifts I'm to send for her birthday next week. Fat chance. 

barelythere

Quote from: jomama on October 20, 2010, 01:23:37 AM

These holiday threads have got me thinking what to do this year. I have been "Mrs. Santa Claus" for 14 years, especially the last few years that they've lived with me. A tree in every room, real holiday music- Dino, Bing,Frank; even hats for the horses- I'd decorate anything that held still long enough ;D  But this year they won't be here. Since Christmas has been all about the 'littles' for so long, I'll make this year all about the 'bigs'. I'm trying to concentrate on who is here, instead of who isn't.  Sounds good, but so far my heart just isn't listening.  :(
Today was my birthday and DD refused to let them call me- but she did relay what gifts I'm to send for her birthday next week. Fat chance.

Happy Birthday, Jomama...I guess,  be good to yourself?  I can visualize your house for Christmas, sounds like pure heaven. 

luise.volta

Happy day-after birthday! Sending love...

Hope

Happy birthday, jomama!  I hope you celebrate all week!   :D :D

Pen

Happy belated birthday, Jomama. I hope you had a nice day.

You must have had boundless energy to do so much "Christmas Monster" decorating, etc. I'll bet your house was a holiday wonderland. My decor has gotten simpler and simpler through the years...we're pretty casual around here now. I'm usually beat by the time the holidays arrive. We have our few favorite things we put out, nothing major. And you know? It's just as special with one box of decorations as it was with four. We really don't miss all the rest, and clean up is so quick and easy :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Scoop

Pem, my Mom once told me that there are 'seasons' in your life.  It was a powerful lesson for me, because now I see everything as a season, it will be over eventually, I should either enjoy it while I can, or put up with it for a while longer.

I see that you're in a 'downsizing Christmas decorations' season and I'm just ramping up to my most decorated Christmas season of all.  I'm really struggling with the concept of 3 (plus 1 mini in DD's room) Christmas trees.  Part of me thinks that 3 is too much.  Part of me really wants 3 trees!

Pen

Oh my, Scoop. You are motivated. We always buy a live tree to plant later, and the thought of rising out of our winter stupor to dig through our horrible soil to plant 3 trees, let alone 1, is just too much. I'd rather go skiing or just sit and watch the firelight :) But you all are inspiring me to step up a bit more than last year...maybe if I start now?? Instead of a week before?? LOL
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Yes, it is fun to think ahead a bit and to hear what others do. Last year I was in a wheel chair and trying to do care giving from that place...an all-time low. No Christmas decorations, gifts or celebrations...just survival. This year I have moved into low-income housing and am going to put up lights and some decorations and make a few gifts!  :D

Barbie

Scoop, I say go for it now that your DD is little. I usually go all out, it's a lot of work, DH helps and we really enjoy looking at all the decorations, our neighbors do too LOL, we get a lot of compliments. The past few years we've started to decorate earlier, usually Thanksgiving weekend, taking everything down goes a lot faster.

jomama

I'd thought that,too. Simplify. We'll make do with 1 or 2 ;) trees this year. If I tone it down too much, everyone will give me the 'eggshell' treatment for fear of upsetting me, and then I'll be more upset.  :'(  I need to be strong and hit this head-on. 

QuoteThe past few years we've started to decorate earlier, usually Thanksgiving weekend, taking everything down goes a lot faster.
That's what St. Patrick's Day is for!

elsieshaye

Quote from: jomama on October 22, 2010, 03:30:48 AM

That's what St. Patrick's Day is for!

When I was married, we'd leave the tree up for months - I think our longest run was April.  And, yes, it was a real tree.   Total fire hazard (and those needles got EVERYWHERE).   I'm not much of a holiday person but I LOVE Christmas lights, so those are the only real decoration I put up.  This particular set has been up for two and a half years now, LOL, and I start turning them on around Thanksgiving, and then stop turning them on sometime in January, depending on whether I still need a little cheer or not.  :)  Maybe if I switch them out to all-green bulbs, I can start turning them on for St. Paddy's Day too! :D
This too shall pass.  All is well.