March 28, 2024, 01:23:41 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

need gift idea for baby boy (age 1 1/2 ) baptism

Started by Shelby, November 03, 2011, 12:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby

I hate shopping, and have virtually zero ideas when it comes to gifts.  But I would like to get something for a baby boy - year and a half old - who is getting baptised.  No clothes.  Too many already.  ideas?

elsieshaye

I love getting color and shape books that they can chew on or squish.  They make some in foam or soft plastic, rather than paper.  I'm a big fan of giving books in general.  Stuffed animals are too personal, and can be overwhelming if everyone gives one, but there's no such thing as too many books!
This too shall pass.  All is well.

Scoop

For a baptism, I think a memento is more appropriate that toys or clothes that are quickly outgrown.

Do you guys have any 'superstitions'?  For us, it's good luck to give a baby "hard" money - coins, not paper.  So a nice silver penny bank, with some coins in it would be well received.

Or else get him this year's coin set (at the post office in Canada).  Or if you can go to a coin dealer and get him the coin set from his birth year, that would be cool too.

When my DD was baptized, my aunt sent a little fairy figurine with a lovely note and we cherish it.  But that's more for a girl, I think.

Are you the same religion?  Would you get a crucifix or a rosary? (Sorry my Catholic is showing!)  They have some really nice, non-gory crucifixes available.

Books are good too, especially if you get books for when he's older, that he can read and enjoy and keep.  The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe?  The Golden Compass?  Harry Potter?

That's the best I've got.

lancaster lady

My GD was given a newly minted coin dated with her birth year .A collectors coin , keepsake .

Doe

I like these gift ideas for coins!  So much other stuff just gets tossed out over the years. 

pam1

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

FAFE

I heard of a great idea the other day.  The gift was for a 1st birthday.  It was a cake knife with the birthdate engraved on it.  There was a poem that went with it (for future occasions, etc) and all major events could be engraved, even being used to cut the wedding cake.  I am trying to find the poem, so I can use this for future gifts.