March 19, 2024, 03:56:34 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Calling Pooh or other cooking afficiandos

Started by pam1, November 02, 2011, 09:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

I bought a corned beef brisket for DH and was going to stick in the crock pot, but my luck, crock pot is kaput.  So on the directions it says I can either simmer it or roast it.  Which is the best way?

I really want to make a fab dinner for DH tonight, since DD's medical issues I've only been cooking her fav foods and tonight is clam chowder....DH will try to eat it but I know he's got to be getting hungry for some of his style of cooking.

Help?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

I do a long, slow simmer with veggies all around it. But I brown it first in butter. Ummmmm...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I do the same thing as Luise.  I think it keeps it more moist.  I also put carrots, potatoes and onions around it while it simmers....Ok...now I'm hungry!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

lancaster lady

You have to pot roast that particular cut of beef , otherwise it will be like leather ....lol
I usually simmer in the oven with a lid , surrounded by root veggies .......then thicken the liquid to a gravy when done .

We serve with Yorkshire puddings .....yum ...( they are batter cakes done in the oven ) ...what time is dinner ... ::)

pam1

Thanks ladies!  It was a hit, DH loved it.  Now since he is the only one who eats it there is a bunch leftover, now I'm going to try my hand at corned beef hash :)  I found some recipes on allrecipes but you guys have any tips?

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pen

Crispy outsides & moist insides on the hash, Pam :) At least that's how DH prefers it.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

bdwell1904

at the holidayss we use ground corn beef mix with 1 c mayo, 1 c sour cream and 1/2 cup green onions mix well and chill. Makes a great dip for crackers  ;D

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell