March 28, 2024, 10:19:12 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

wHAT HAVE I LEARNED?

Started by cremebrulee, February 09, 2010, 04:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

I thought it might be fun to start a thread about all the things we have learned from each other....you don't have to state who you learned it from, but from this experience, lets look for the positive things we have learned...

1.  I have learned I can't always have things my way, and all my dreams won't come true....

2.  I have learned to be even more giving and to allow and let go of those I love the most dearly.

3.  God's purpose for us, is to acclimate to change, regardless of how uncomfortable it is.

4.  Hard times lead me closer to God

5.  I shouldn't only be thankful when things are good, but also, remember, those good things when times are tough

6.  It could always be worse

7.  I've learned patience and to look in other directions for happiness even though for every step forward I take, two back seems to get in the way...perhaps that to, is purposeful....

8.  I think I've finally learned to love, even in the face of loss...and to try to understand my enemy, even though, that person would do me harm....

9.  I've been able to identify those who are disturbed, who would try and drive a wedge between family members, are very troubled souls...

10.  People are not always going to think and feel the way I do...and that's ok....

11.  I've learned, that there are a lot of women out there, who are loving and dealing with the same problems I am, and so so greatful to have found this website full of very loving woman....

cocobars

What a positive and forward moving thread, Creme!  This really makes us think and appreciate what we have.

One of the things I've learned here is that I can tell everyone some painful and sometimes embarassing things, without being judged or second guessed.  ACCEPTANCE

It so nice to be around others who are going through the same things.  Makes me feel like it's not all my problem.  I was starting to think something was wrong with me before I found this site.

My post isn't as organized or as thought provoking as yours, but I wanted to throw that in the pile anyway!

cremebrulee

February 09, 2010, 05:46:53 AM #2 Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:50:21 AM by cremebrulee
Quotecocobars link=topic=387.msg7041#msg7041 date=1265722283]
What a positive and forward moving thread, Creme!  This really makes us think and appreciate what we have.

One of the things I've learned here is that I can tell everyone some painful and sometimes embarassing things, without being judged or second guessed.  ACCEPTANCE

hah, you might not believe it is profound, but, by far, it is...acceptance here is a gift...thank you so much for pointing that out.  I have read many of your posts that are profound and help me along the way, your posts are and insight into how caring your heart is....you are a gift.

QuoteIt so nice to be around others who are going through the same things.  Makes me feel like it's not all my problem.  I was starting to think something was wrong with me before I found this site.

yes, it certainly is...I love these girls...

QuoteMy post isn't as organized or as thought provoking as yours, but I wanted to throw that in the pile anyway!

your posts, all of them are so organized and helpful....
thank you for being you...

cocobars

Quote from: cremebrulee on February 09, 2010, 04:34:39 AM

7.  I've learned patience and to look in other directions for happiness even though for every step forward I take, two back seems to get in the way...perhaps that to, is purposeful....

8.  I think I've finally learned to love, even in the face of loss...and to try to understand my enemy, even though, that person would do me harm....

I've learned that your statement in #7 above is very necessary to grow.  3 years ago I took one step forward and three steps back.  That grew to two steps back, still not making any real progress.  I reached a place where I could at least stay even - one step forward and one back.  Now I can look back and see all that but at the time just didn't see anything but how dark everything was.  Today I have noticed that my own pace seems to be "three steps forward, one back."  I'm getting there, but know I'm still a work in progress.  LOL! 

I think I will be forever.  We learn at any age, and it never stops.  We all learn at different paces also.  Like invisible, I had friends who made remarks that I should be over it.  Although I wish I could get over some things like most people and move on, and I do realize that is part of growing,  I've also learned that I can't rush myself.  It's my pace, even if it's slow.  It's still growth.

The next time you notice you've taken a step forward, you can know that it's ok to take those two steps back.  Yes, I believe it does have a purpose and it's different for everyone.

Your post is so wonderful.  I'm not sure I would have much more to add to this.  It appears to me you have completely covered it! ;D

Take care deep thinker!

luise.volta

1. I have learned that often perceptions are not truths or if they are, they're "my truths, only.

2. I have learned that just being heard and understood is often all I need to be able to move on.

3. I have learned that I can develop inner resources and move beyond "that's just the way I am."

4. I have learned that fatigue can alter how I see and experience things and rest can change that.

5. I have learned that what I need is provided and that want and need aren't always the same thing.

6. I have learned to trust the overview and know that I can't always see and appreciate it.

7. I have learned that forgiveness and trust are not the same thing and have made peace with that.

8. I have learned that not knowing is a wonderful thing and makes room for growth and expansion.

9. I have learned that I can outsmart and outlive my past mistakes and revere the present.

10. I have learned that loving and being loved fuels me and makes the whole journey worthwhile.

11. I have learned that having fun and being silly are contagious and have healing properties.

12. I have learned that one way to express love is to listen to and acknowledge others.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

cremebrulee

February 12, 2010, 05:57:10 AM #5 Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:00:03 AM by cremebrulee
a profound post Luise, and so true...so very true....thank you for sharing....

I will use that to refer to when I'm down...every single post is outstanding, however, #7 is so true....I'm going to copy these and keep them if you don't mind...there are a few in there, I need to work on....

Hugs
Creme

cocobars

February 23, 2010, 06:14:53 AM #6 Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:16:46 AM by cocobars
I have learned that education doesn't dictate intelligence, compassion, love or wisdom.

I have learned that I can love people I have never laid eyes on.

Oh!  And that snow has magic crystals (thanks Pen), that I never noticed only because of my own dislike for it.  But they were there - when viewed through someone else's eyes...

luise.volta

I have learned that if I don't try it, I will never know if it might have worked or not.

cocobars

I have learned that I look forward to your posts on Monday mornings, and regret seeing you leave on Fridays.  I have missed those pearls of wisdom that only you are detailed enough to give.

I have learned that it only takes a day for me to start worrying about you, Creme!

cocobars

Oh Anna!  That was a good one!  Hard to do, but good to conquer!

renny97

Love this post:

1. When someone disrespects you, believe it. No one has the right to do this; not even someone related.
Your reaction may have consequences--but, don't be fear-driven. Try to hold onto manners as long as you can. Sometimes, people that do not have any--will not understand you anyway.

2. Letting go, can also be an act of love. You accept that others don't have the same values.

3. Don't let others verbally abuse you. Never let it become a habit for them. Saying nothing about it, is equally as bad.

4. Have a full and meaningful life. Do not let bullies be the focus.

5. Respect yourself.

6. Dance and be silly as a requirement; not an option.

luise.volta

I just loved the be silly part! :P 8) :o ;)

renny97

;) ;D Oh yeah, shimmy to the left and shimmy to the right  ;D

I used to work with a guy that did a "mean" sprinkler! Oh, I laughed! He recently came to the place I work with his daughter and I thanked him for brightening my days back then. He was so surprised that I remembered. I said I would never forget that. That was the first time I had ever heard of that being a dance.

Another lesson learned, let the people who do bring you joy, know that they do.

And, from what I read; our Fairy Godmother has a birthday on March 10th?  ;)

luise.volta

You're close...March 9th. And Kirk, our worthy webmaster, is coming over from Kauai to Washington State to celebrate with his old mom for a month;D ;D I haven't seen him for five months and it's been a very hard five months with that fracture and the surgery to put the screws in and Val going down hill so my caregiving has had to go up even when wheelchair-bound.

I think I will post a newspaper article that was printed about me in the Fall outlining the two awards I got in Sept. and October for my work on our campus and on the Web. I'd love to share that with you guys. Any maybe even the little 3 minute acceptance speech I gave when I got my trophy. :-))))

The Fairy Godmother got Pinged!!

cremebrulee

Quote from: luise.volta on March 01, 2010, 10:16:19 PM
You're close...March 9th. And Kirk, our worthy webmaster, is coming over from Kauai to Washington State to celebrate with his old mom for a month;D ;D I haven't seen him for five months and it's been a very hard five months with that fracture and the surgery to put the screws in and Val going down hill so my caregiving has had to go up even when wheelchair-bound.

I think I will post a newspaper article that was printed about me in the Fall outlining the two awards I got in Sept. and October for my work on our campus and on the Web. I'd love to share that with you guys. Any maybe even the little 3 minute acceptance speech I gave when I got my trophy. :-))))

The Fairy Godmother got Pinged!!

I hope you guys have such a memorable and loving time together....big hugs
Creme