March 28, 2024, 02:15:51 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Trying To See Above The Snow!

Started by cocobars, February 06, 2010, 06:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cocobars

Anyone out there getting the snow storm we are? This is awful!  I've already been out shoveling all morning and it's still coming down!  So far we have electricity.  I'm crossing my fingers, but we look to already have over a couple of feet!

Florida would be nice right now!  How is everyone else doing?

luise.volta

Buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrr!!

Here in western Washington, we just had the warmest January in recorded history and February seems to be more of the same. There were many days last month when we were warmer than Florida! Of course we can step out the door and see snow because the mountains are all decked out. And the skiing is great!

(This post was paid for by the Stanwood Washington Chamber of Commerce!) LOL!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

cocobars

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Are you saying the bill is in the mail?

luise.volta

LOL! The down side is that there has been very little sun. Clouds hold the warmth in...clear skies let it go.

Pen

Pretty dreary here (no snow yet) but I love it. Hot coffee, fireplace crackling, soup in the crockpot, 3 day weekend....priceless. I love snow! It changes everything and suspends time. When the sun comes out it sparkles like magic crystals (sorry, total cliche.) I don't even mind shoveling -what a great workout! Of course it can be a major bother, but I hope you all are keeping warm and safe.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

cocobars

February 06, 2010, 09:00:01 AM #5 Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:37:16 AM by cocobars
Quote from: penstamen on February 06, 2010, 08:54:23 AM
Pretty dreary here (no snow yet) but I love it. Hot coffee, fireplace crackling, soup in the crockpot, 3 day weekend....priceless. I love snow! It changes everything and suspends time. When the sun comes out it sparkles like magic crystals (sorry, total cliche.) I don't even mind shoveling -what a great workout! Of course it can be a major bother, but I hope you all are keeping warm and safe.
Magic crystals?  :-[ What's wrong with total cliche's?  You were just making me look at the snow in "another mindframe!"  A different way for me to see it! 

Yes, I'm warm and safe, thanks for asking Penstamen!  I'm tackling the "snow project" little by little.  Kind of like chipping away at an iceberg!  LOL! :D

Pen

Icebergs are a whole other matter. I like fluffy snow :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

cocobars

Well, my back is hurting, my head is hurting from all the snow shoveling, and I'm nauseated from crying over invisible!  I really want you guys to know I just love you all so much here!

I'm just glad I found this place and all of you too!

I'm going down for the count now.  My snow shoveling arms are frozen and a blanket is calling my name!

See you next time!  I love you guys! ;D

2chickiebaby

cocobars

Quote from: penstamen on February 06, 2010, 08:54:23 AM

Dear Penstamen,

I just wanted to tell you that I went out that night and stood (sort of wondering what I was going to do with all the snow).  The street lights were glistening on the snow, and you know what I saw? 

Magic Crystals!

Thanks for pointing that out.  I've always hated snow, but you gave me a new slant.  I never really noticed?  What are those little sparkly things?  They must be magic crystals ;D

You were right! No cliches for me!!

cremebrulee

Quote from: cocobars on February 06, 2010, 06:25:21 AM
Anyone out there getting the snow storm we are? This is awful!  I've already been out shoveling all morning and it's still coming down!  So far we have electricity.  I'm crossing my fingers, but we look to already have over a couple of feet!

Florida would be nice right now!  How is everyone else doing?

more coming tomorrow night....
we got about 1 1/2 feet of snow.....

cocobars

February 08, 2010, 05:50:24 AM #11 Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:57:54 AM by cocobars
Creme, you're north of me.  I would have thought you had more of it!  HA!  I went out with a yardstick and measured here.  It was 26 inches (a little over two feet).  I'm short so I'm sure it was funny at times for the neighbor's to see the snow flying up from behind the mounds!  Some guys came by looking for work and I was only too happy to hire them.  They finished the driveway all the way out to the street and did the main walkway to the house for me!  I was so happy to sit with a cup of coffee and watch at that point!  My 91 year old father went out with me the night before and started shoveling (I'm really the only "healthy" one at the house so he had no business doing it).  He wouldn't go inside!  He doesn't think this is "womens" work!  HA!  It's the way he was raised though.  I went back in and decided I would go back out in the morning and do it before he woke up.  He "KNEW" what I was doing.  He stayed out.  After about 15 minutes, I went back out to try to get him back in saying, "you can't be doing this, and you're going to have a heart attack out here doing this much."  He told me "I" could have one too, that it was too much for me, so we both might as well go together!"  LOL!

I could just picture him and I standing in front of God with snowshovels, pointing at eachother?

I finally ended up taking the shovels and "putting them away."  He went in and fell asleep!  You can't tell my father about his age though, he still thinks he can do everything.  Anyway, when he woke up the next day they (the guys looking for work) were finishing.  "Oops!  I guess you can't help!"  I told him the snow shoveling fairies came through and blessed him while he was sleeping!"  He got to relax and talk to the neighbor's instead!

The neighbor's and I were all talking about the coming snow this week - wondering where we would put it.  The mounds of snow are ridiculous!  This should be interesting, to say the least.

I'm just happy I don't live in Vermont!  I hope you got to sit inside and watch.  It's so much more "magical" that way...

Happy you're back!

cremebrulee

actually, it's so hard shoveling, however, the beauty of it, is certainly enveloping....last time we had this much snow was when I was a kid...enjoy sitting by the fire watching it...peaceful and calming....not to mention, snuggling up with my little fur person and a good book!

Hang in there hun, spring is on it's way...(slowly)

cocobars

Thanks Creme!  I needed that...

I hung around with my furry little person and we just "stank" together at the end of the day!

luise.volta

It's been a year since we had a blizzard. When it hit, I was supposed to have eye surgery the following day, 50 miles away. So I got a "sitter" for my husband, made reservations at a hotel and took off. The Interstate, which is 6 - 8 lanes, was one icy lane only and the visibility was about 10 feet. Eventually I outran (out-crawled?) the storm but the next morning it caught up with me and I had to use my little Ford Focus as a snow plow to get to doctor and have the operation.

Question: At age 82, why didn't I cancel? Everyone else did! Answer: I never even thought of it. Not smart!! My family had conniptions when they found out what I did...and for good reason. Senior moments can be dangerous!

All set to stay inside this year, toasting my toes in front of our electric fireplace...but we we just had the warmest January inrecorded history!  ;D ;D