March 28, 2024, 08:29:43 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Courtesy - or lack thereof

Started by Shelby, October 25, 2011, 12:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby

I am amazed at lack of courtesy these days.  I was representing a client at a plea docket last week.   All the other lawyers and various defendants representing themselves were in a waiting area, waiting to meet with the prosecutor and court clerk.  There were a dozen or so people waiting, and only 4 chairs.  I was sitting in one chair.  I am 60.  The other 3 chairs were occupied by a man my age, a man about 30, and a woman about 35 or 40.  All of us appeared to be able-bodied.  In walked a woman, between 20 and 30, carrying her child.  Child was about 6 or 7 years old, and sound asleep.  A heavy load even for an able-bodied 25 year old mom.  I caught her eye, offered her my chair, which she gratefully accepted.  It turned out she (with child fast asleep the whole time) had an hour's wait, as we all did.  How she could possibly have held that heavy child the whole time while standing I have no idea.  What amazes me is that none of the other 3 able-bodied seated people offered her a seat.  It was the oldest female that offered.  Not either of the men, nor the younger woman.  I was happy to give up my seat - but discouraged that my offer was the only one made.  And yes, the others saw her.  She had to walk right past us when she came in. 

Pooh

That was very nice, polite and the right thing for you to do!  I would have done the same.  I had 3 different men drop restaurant doors on me during this trip and I thought my DH was going to beat them!  It seems manners and courtesy is slowly losing ground.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Very nice of you Shelby.

But looks can be deceiving, I have a fairly progressive form of arthritis and a condition related to playing sports when I was younger.  In the next couple years I will probably have to have both knees replaced and at least one hip. 

And I'm in my early thirties.  Sometimes you never know whats going on with others.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Shelby

Agree that looks can be deceiving.  However, the odds of all three other seated people having unseen disabilities is practically zero.  Surely at least one or two of them were able to offer their seat to a woman holding a 50 pound sleeping child.

Doe

Shelby, you're a gem.

My button gets pushed when I open the door, walk through and hold it to pass it to the next one and they walk through leaving me holding it!  Most of the time, they are 20+ years younger than me....

Shelby