March 28, 2024, 02:58:42 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

DIL is "NICE?"

Started by cocobars, February 04, 2010, 03:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

I think thanking her was your only option.  Refusing it would be too contentious.  Nothing wrong with a simple thank you for a simple gesture.  Could be weather-related?   If she really wants to butter your biscuit, it will take more than soup and staples. Doesn't she know, only Red Velvet Cupcakes can kick off a real bribery campaign!

I agree with all to step back, say nothing, and let DS and DIL do their thing, whatever it is or isn't this week. 

cocobars

Oh Sass!  My favorite!  And I have the original southern recipe.  They're ok from the grocery store, but this recipe makes them taste awful.  I'll try to remember to post it.  Then again, sounds like you already have it!   LOL!

Orly

Post it Coco or send me it by PM ....I WANT THAT RECIPE!

cocobars

February 04, 2010, 05:05:17 PM #18 Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:08:43 PM by cocobars
RED VELVET CAKE

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 ounces red food coloring
1 TBSP cocoa
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp soda
1 TBSP vinegar

Preheat oven to 350.  Cream shortening and sugar.  Ad eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.  Add vanilla and food coloring.  Sift flour and salt together and add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture (I don't sift because that was mainly done to separate the bugs from flour -  back then).  Sprinkle soda over batter, then pour vinegar over mixture (it will foam). Stir until well blended.

THE BEST RED VELVET FILLING!
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP cornstarch
1 cup water

Cream butter and sugar until creamy.  Cook together cornstarch, vanilla and water until very thick.  Cool (I put it in fridge till cool).  combine the cooled vanilla/water/cornstarch mixture with butter/sugar mixture and beat (and beat and beat) until of whipped cream consistency (the mixture will be weird at first and you may think it's too moist to do this - keep mixing).  Fill the Cake.

refridgerate and enjoy!

Meryl

Cupcake recipe sounds great. Can they be done without the food coloring - I know they will no longer be red velvet, but it doesn't affect the taste, does it?

I would be very polite and cordial with whatever she sent, and just stay out of it. If you don't want to use the products, give them away. I wouldn't even get into it with your son about being able to get them cheaper at the commissary. If he tells her that it just puts you between them. If there is even a chance of reconciling, you don't want to be there in the middle.
Just stay nice, polite, and above any nonsense and nothing can be blamed on you. Just my opinion.

cremebrulee

Quote from: Meryl on February 05, 2010, 06:18:16 AM
Cupcake recipe sounds great. Can they be done without the food coloring - I know they will no longer be red velvet, but it doesn't affect the taste, does it?

I would be very polite and cordial with whatever she sent, and just stay out of it. If you don't want to use the products, give them away. I wouldn't even get into it with your son about being able to get them cheaper at the commissary. If he tells her that it just puts you between them. If there is even a chance of reconciling, you don't want to be there in the middle.
Just stay nice, polite, and above any nonsense and nothing can be blamed on you. Just my opinion.

I think this was a very reasonable and good post...and feel the same way...good points Meryl

cocobars

Quote from: Meryl on February 05, 2010, 06:18:16 AM

Thanks Meryl!  That's exactly what I did.  I've tried to find room for it, and I know my son feels like this is something he is contributing to the household so it won't be thrown away.  There are alot of drinks and they will always come in handy.  I mixed everything in with what we already had here.

Thanks for your opinion.  I get suspicious when she gets "nice..."  You just never know.  I think she's trying to get my son back.  I'm laying low.

Sassy

VERY IMPORTANT POST:

How long to bake the cupcakes?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is "filling" the same as "frosting"?   If not, how to "fill"?

cocobars

Hey Sass!

I'm not sure of the timing on cupcakes.  It's a cake recipe, so if you want to check - stick a toothpick in one of the cupcakes and see if it comes out clean (then it's done).  Another way to tell, is to push down gently on the tops, if they spring back then they're done!

I would cut back the baking time for cupcakes.  Another rule of thumb is - when you start smelling them, then it's time to check and/or start watching them.

I hope this helps!  Enjoy!

renny97

Hey, we MILs ARE talented!  ;) Who knew?

cocobars

Quote from: Sassy on February 05, 2010, 08:32:45 AM
VERY IMPORTANT POST:

How long to bake the cupcakes?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is "filling" the same as "frosting"?   If not, how to "fill"?

Oops!  Missed the second question - yes, filling is the same as frosting.  This is wonderful buttery frosting.  Very rich, but melts in your mouth!

cocobars

Quote from: renny97 on February 05, 2010, 12:23:59 PM
Hey, we MILs ARE talented!  ;) Who knew?
Yep!  I guess we have our good points don't we.  Ignore the slapping sound...  I'm patting my own back.. ;D