April 18, 2024, 10:35:17 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Just Spoke to Son - aargh!!

Started by Chrisky, December 04, 2011, 06:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Begonia

Chrisky:  I agree with Luise.  For whatever reason they are not reaching out and if you have ever tried to catch a cat (I have cats so this comes to mind after an incident today) the  minute you reach for them they are gone in a flash, but then later when you pay them no attention at all they will be there by your chair or jumping on your lap. On their terms.  I have had to realize this is how my DD and DS are.  IMHO I think just "saying you are coming over" could damage things even more. Just sit tight and let them make the first move.  Otherwise you will be setting the pattern of chasing them and they will go into hiding. I am learning this the hard way too, so sending patience and love out to you.
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift (Eleanor Roosevelt)

Chrisky

Thank you for the replies Luise and Begonia.  I'll be patient and see what develops.  Both DH and I are keeping busy with other things in our lives, so we're trying not to focus too much on just this one thing.  Hopefully we'll hear something positive from DS soon.

Doe

Quote from: Chrisky on December 10, 2011, 07:48:39 PM
  Both DH and I are keeping busy with other things in our lives, so we're trying not to focus too much on just this one thing. 

Oh good!  I was reading through this thread and this was going to be my advice.   I have had to take a hard look at my own life in order to understand why I was so upset about how one of my sons treated me.  I don't want to be the mom/gm who is unhappy unless she's getting a certain amount of time from one other person in the world or can't see a gc who lives far away.  So I've been working on the person I want to be for this phase of my life, regardless of how other family members are acting.   Life's been a lot more fun since I started tending more to my own life.

Chrisky

Yes Doe.  Since we only have this one son, we've obviously focused on him.  But, you know, I definitely feel better when I keep busy and not think of him too much.  Sometimes, though, too many negative thoughts creep in and I feel miserable.  I'm trying to convince DH of this as well. 

firelight

I once worked for a Dr. years ago who told me (after I had a short bawling episode at work in the bathroom over my DD who was 15 at the time) that I should have had more kids....so I wouldn't be so focused on the one I do have.  I believe what he said is true.....but it wasn't in the cards for me to do so....so, I guess we have to be intentional about taking the focus off....but I am with you...some days are just better than others whether we think on the situation too much or not.  I came close to removing my pics off the wall (I have many from the time she was a baby up to her married pic with the GC)....it's almost too painful to look at sometimes.  I didn't remove them......yet.  ;-)
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

Chrisky

Quote from: believingGod on December 12, 2011, 09:57:16 PM
I once worked for a Dr. years ago who told me (after I had a short bawling episode at work in the bathroom over my DD who was 15 at the time) that I should have had more kids....so I wouldn't be so focused on the one I do have.  I believe what he said is true.....
You're right , my mother had told me that as well, but it didn't happen.  I'm also an only child, but when I was younger I never thought if I had only one child I would be as heart broken as I am now, because we never treated my parents or DH's parents as we are being treated.   

firelight

I hear ya loud and clear.  *hugs*
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

Pooh

Hang in there Chrisky.  I had two sons and one thinks I am great...the other...not so much.  Same raising, same values, etc., so in my case, having more than one child didn't make a difference.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Doe

I do agree with the doc in this way:  we tend to focus in on our kids with a spotlight rather than use a floodlight, at least I did.  I lost some of my peripheral vision of Life when I was so involved in being a mom.  It's only now that I'm more able to step back and use the 'floodlight' approach.