March 28, 2024, 10:24:24 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Jealousy

Started by Pen, October 08, 2011, 03:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

Apparently DS's MIL is miserable. I guess having all the attention, money, cars, jewelry, big house, luxury vacations, etc etc aren't enough. Was I bad to suggest to DS that she volunteer somewhere to get some perspective? Do you suppose I'll hear from DIL about my lack of compassion?

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

I'm a big believer in Karma and all the money in the world can't make you happy. 

I wouldn't worry about it Pen.  If DIL does, and probably will from her history, just smile and ask her if she would like a cup of tea!  ;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

Quote from: Pen on January 16, 2012, 08:25:33 PM
Apparently DS's MIL is miserable. I guess having all the attention, money, cars, jewelry, big house, luxury vacations, etc etc aren't enough. Was I bad to suggest to DS that she volunteer somewhere to get some perspective? Do you suppose I'll hear from DIL about my lack of compassion?

Nope.  I've done the same thing with my MIL.  Your sons MIL and mine sound so eerily similar sometimes.  With all that she has materially it doesn't make a dent in her personal happiness factor.  Yet, material goods are valued so highly in that family regardless of the fact it doesn't make them feel any better. 

If anything, I think it only makes her feel less happy and content.  I notice she buys a lot of things to get attention in one way or another.  Can't just get a normal sized hot tub that she and FIL can enjoy.  No, they buy a 20 person sized hot tub and want hot tub parties and can't or won't understand when people don't feel like a hot tub party.  So then she's upset b/c people aren't getting into the hot tub with her but FIL is right there....

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pen

Oh Pam, that's hilarious in a sad sort of way. And kind of "ew."

DS's MIL just got back from a luxury vacation and whined that she was bored. FIL & FOO immediately took her on a luxury weekend away. I think I've been doing it all wrong; no luxury vacations coming my way, maybe I should rethink this.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Nuh huh!  You start whining and we will edit you!   ;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell