Re: Gifts
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
Oh I love it! ::)

Offline Pooh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
Ha ha ha!  Love it!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Offline Pen

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 01:52:35 PM »
Great story, Jane  :D  You've got to keep a sense of humor about this stuff. I think I told you about my SM who sent back all our gifts to her in a box marked "Junk" with a note that perhaps DD could use the items for crafts projects. The very next year "she" got part of a flock of chicks and a bunch of bees, lol. No way could she send those back!

AM, I'm glad I didn't take my DS's advice to not gift DIL too. She is trying to be polite when we're together and I think she appreciated our taking the high road after she shunned us & said she hated us. However, I'm not spending what I did the first years of their marriage on either of them. They are adults with more than adequate incomes! I've always liked the non-profit or handmade, non-cluttery gift route best anyway and will more than likely do more of that when I retire one of these days.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Offline pam1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »
Sesamejane, I really laughed out loud at that.  Too funny

I like couple gifts, maybe a membership somewhere or fancy gift basket.  To be honest, most people need nothing so experience gifts or edible gifts are the way I go.

DHs sisters ask for money every year.  I can't quite get over it b/c they are the ones insisting carrying on the traditions of buying for everyone, yet they can't afford to!  Errr, wanna give them a money advice book lol
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift