March 28, 2024, 05:55:10 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Introduction.... I'm sure I'll start complaining about real details later :D

Started by breakthecycle, October 01, 2011, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alohomora

I fully expect to care for my mother when she's too old to be independent. 

Sorry this didn't come out properly but I quoted the above from the OP.

OP - I find your post interesting. I think the thing that stood out first to me was your comment above. You will take care of your own mother, but want nothing to do with your MIL in her old age.

I read your entire post so I understand your concerns there. But you comment about problems when inlaws become a burden in old age, without being concerned with the 'burden' your own mother might cause to your wife.

I have to say I take some objection to some of your comments about people being complete mess's on here and comments you make such as "I also see a lot of older parents who just don't seem to be all that intelligent". Not very nice to a group you are hoping to be a 'souding board' for.

"The fact that so few moms come on these pages to express their regret for all the stupid, hateful, abusive things they did to their own children, and for the horrible choices they made, particularly in their choice of husbands, really seems to underline that kids who grow up hating their parents -- or simply becoming indifferent to them -- are justified in their feelings."

This comment makes no logical sense to me - how does one thing follow the other? Few moms coming on this page = angry kids are totally justified?

Pooh

Since he hasn't been back to respond to anyone, I have decided this was a drive-by posting.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

bdwell1904

Pooh- you made me laugh today thank you.
P.S. does this mean I can open up my can of worms about what I thought lol

amflautist

Quote from: alohomora on October 19, 2011, 04:33:27 PM
OP - I find your post interesting. I think the thing that stood out first to me was your comment above. You will take care of your own mother, but want nothing to do with your MIL in her old age.

So glad I don't know the OP.  But my DH, on the other hand, my DH took care of my mother in her last days.  I phoned him from her bedside, told him I wanted to bring her home to live with us, he immediately said yes.  And he, plus my two dear angel children, fixed up a room for her, redid the bathroom so it would have the handrails she needed, etc. etc.  All I had to do was pack her suitcases and bring her to my house.  My fabulous cranky old academic husband.  The one my DIL doesn't like.  Hah! 

Pooh

Quote from: bdwell1904 on October 25, 2011, 11:44:01 AM

Lol.  Negative ghostrider....if I can't...you can't   ;D
Joseph Campbell

alohomora

Quote from: bdwell1904 on October 25, 2011, 11:44:01 AM

please do so! I was really unimpressed with the whole 'wearing the pants' comments. Unimpressed generally.

elsieshaye

Quote from: alohomora on October 26, 2011, 05:04:50 PMI was really unimpressed with the whole 'wearing the pants' comments.

I had a lot of concerns about that, but couldn't find a constructive, kind way to point them out.  Too many of my own buttons were pushed, because that paragraph really could have been written by my ex-husband.  The problems came in when the reality of me didn't match the image of what I was supposed to be like and want from him.

There's a really good book that talks about what happens when one person defines another, and then is hit by the reality of the person not matching the defined person.  From the point of view of the definer, when the reality is different it feels like a huge betrayal and can lead to some very hurtful behavior.

http://www.amazon.com/Controlling-People-Recognize-Understand-Control/dp/158062569X

This too shall pass.  All is well.

bdwell1904

Maybe that's why it got to me. I went straight from a very strict family unit to being a  9 yrs older controlling mans wife. I could see some of what was said being repeated in someone else's life lol

Kate123

Hello break- hope you get back to us because I would like to tell you that you are off track a bit with your views of the mothers here. First I would like to say that no one but no one is not going to make mistakes in parenting. In thirty or so years you will know what I mean. As for your wife- to-be it sounds to me as if you are planning on being her father rather then her husband. I would advise premarital counseling so that you know your boundries and do not try to control your wifes life and behavior, believe me that will come back on you. As for you mother and MIL why not stop thinking about who is going to take care of who and just live one day at a time. After all it is possible that none of it will come about, or it may be you that needs taking care for, you never know what the future holds.

Pen

He was most definitely a fly-by troll, IMO.

AM, you & your DH are peaches :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift