March 28, 2024, 12:29:21 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Whatcha reading?

Started by pam1, September 29, 2011, 07:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

I think my kindle is being delivered today or tomorrow and I'm out of book ideas LOL.  So, you guys read any good books lately?

Anyone try the kindle before?  I must say, I think I will miss holding a book :(  But I'll save trees
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pen

It's so cool to have books delivered instantly. You'll grow to love it, I think. Plus you can read in the dark w/o a book light.

What genres do you prefer? Which authors?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Doe

Oh so glad you asked!  I'm reading the Outlander Series by Diane Gabaldon.  Verra Verra Good!

This year I've loved the Mayfair Witches series (Anne Rice) and have loved the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

pam1

I read pretty much anything except romance lol.  Not picky at all.  Hopefully, I'll get used to it :)  And the light is awesome, I love reading in bed.  Wally Lamb is one of my favorite authors, so is Anne Rice :)  Jodi Picoult, hmmm...drawing a blank. 

Doe, I *love* the MayFair Witches and Vampire books.  It's been a couple years since I've read them, great idea!  I used to read The Witching Hour every year during the winter.  Love, love, love.

I did hear Anne Rice was going back to her roots, haven't heard about any new books lately though.

Rose799

Check with your local library online, Pam.  I just learned you can check out e-books (some) using either a Kindle, or as a Kindle download to your pc.   :)

pam1

Awesome!  I didn't know that

Pooh

I have asked my DH for a Kindle for Christmas this year, but then I saw an article online (didn't get to read the whole thing) where Amazon is coming out with a combination IPad/Kindle soon for $199.

(I need to find that article again and read the whole thing.)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

I saw that on the news but I already ordered mine LOL.  Of course, it's just my luck haha

Pooh

Mine too.  There were a bunch of people at the conference with their Kindles and I was thinking I should have asked for for Labor Day or something instead of Christmas because I want one!  Lol.  I will be curious to see what people think of them when they come out.  Looks like it will not be as robust as an IPad, but offer many of the functions.
Joseph Campbell

FAFE

Pooh, you've missed Labor Day.  But Columbus Day is October 10th.  Love my Kindle but would love to have the one just out. 

FAFE

Pooh, my bad, saw where you said "should have asked for Labor Day." 

Orly

I love my Kindle.  I have a pad of paper and pen in my purse and when I see something that looks interesting I jot it down.  Then I look it up later to download it.  While I was waiting for mine to arrive I went online and downloaded all the freebie classic books to my account....BAM...instant library.  Now with all my paperbacks, when I finish reading them, they go into donation boxes.  One to the library, one to the senior center and one to the local county jail.  I'm getting rid of a lot of dust collectors....lol.

Orly

Oh...forgot to say just what I'm reading atm.....a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

One of the added benefits of reading on a Kindle....people can't see when you are reading a trashy romance for pleasure.

Orly

OOps, another thing I forgot.....if you have an Ipad....you can get a Kindle app for that and download books with it too.