March 28, 2024, 09:42:54 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Whatcha reading?

Started by pam1, September 29, 2011, 07:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

LOL Orly!  On a flight a couple weeks ago I read a Chelsea Handler book, something like "Lies that Chelsea Handler told me."  This is the third book of hers I've read (what a hoot!)  Anyway, I was dying...it was so funny, I was trying to laugh quietly as not to disturb other people and ended looking like I was having a seizure lol.  The guy next to me asked if I was ok and I had to show him the book b/c I still couldn't talk. 

If you ever need a pick me up, pick up one of her books.  Hysterically funny

I do need a new laptop, I'm just not ready to confront it yet.  I'm a technophone lol so getting the kindle was a big deal for me :)

Thanks for all the book suggestions, I'm going to get an "instant library" too!  This is awesome
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Scoop

If you like books about Vampires & Werewolves ect, then have a look at Kelley Armstrong.  Like the Sookie Stackhouse novels, her books are more 'adult' oriented.  (Except for the new ones, The Awakening" - series.  Those are targeted at teens, so they're less smutty - too bad!)

If you haven't read the Sookie Stackhouse series, you should.  They're HILARIOUS, and smutty (a little bit).  But she's a strong female lead and I like that.  I would say that the first season of True Blood followed the books pretty reliably, but it's gone south from there.  The books are MUCH better.

Have you read "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer?  It's not at all like Twilight, but it's good.  It was even better the second time.  She really has a way of making you feel the emotions of her characters.

I love anything by Anne McCaffery and Mercedes Lackey.

Anne McCaffery is all about dragons, in an alternate reality world (not at all with knights ect). 

Mercedes Lackey has a bunch of different fantasy "genres".  She has one series that are sort of based on fairy tales.  It has Fairy Godmothers, Knights, Damsels in distress, but they're all working to make The Tradition work FOR them instead of against them.  They're fun.  She also has a Valdemar series, which has magical Companions (horse types) which form a BOND with Herald's, who in turn protect the kingdom.

But if this is not your style, I got nothing for you.

Pooh

I purposefully didn't answer the question.....cause I'm all about romance! Lol.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Doe

A couple on my list to:

The Night Circle by Erin Morgenstern
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by R Riggs

pam1

You guys are awesome!  I'm so excited, you have no idea lol

Yes, Scoop, those are right up my alley.  I don't mind some smut, just not all smut ;) 

I bought the series Riverworld after watching it on Syfy, I think.  It was only a 2 part, 4 hour thing.  But it was goooood.  I can't get through the first book though, it had one scene so terribly graphic.  LOL
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Scoop

Have you seen that they made a tv show (?) out of the Game of Thrones books?  They're good books, but very hard to read.  There are a LOT of people to keep track of and many winding plots.  They're good stories, but they're hard to recommend, because they're quite tedious.