March 28, 2024, 11:26:20 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Adult children as bullies?

Started by SunShine, September 26, 2011, 01:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

It was right on with me too.  I was just sitting there in shock while he was going through each one of them.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

dvg

Thanks, everyone.  I hadn't thought of our AC as being bullies, but that is what they are doing.  In retrospect, I see how I've enabled it by giving in to DD - every time she threatens to cut me out of her life, I give in to what she wants.  It will take major strength to call her bluff - she just might follow through.

No one ever told me family life would hurt more than anything imaginable.  I still love the sweet little girl she used to be and long to have a good relationship with her again.  It is so hard to let go and it seems the tears will never end.

It's a constant struggle to remember that we don't have to define ourselves by our families. 

Pen

I don't know how I missed your post, Pooh. Chilling....and very enlightening.

DVG, sorry you're going through this. You're right, we don't have to define ourselves by our families. Hard to not fall into that, though.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb