March 28, 2024, 11:26:48 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My GD and Rules

Started by cremebrulee, January 10, 2010, 11:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

There was a situation which occured just recently, (without going into detail)...where my DIL and GD were at someone else's home...

My GD was repromanded by the woman whose property they were on...and the woman explained to her why she wasn't supposed to be doing what she was doing...

Well, my DIL got all huffy and they haven't been back and won't be back.

How sad...for my GD, as she will not learn, that everyone's rules are different, and they are to be respected....

and, my DIL makes everything a huge drama anyway...she really takes insult when someone else corrects her daughter...me, if my son was doing something wrong, he'd not only hear it from the teacher, but then have to contend with me....as my parents did with me...a child needs to learn, that regardless how unfair some rules are, they are there for a reason, not to mention, there are different rules in different household...it's called behavior and learning to be polite.

RedRose

Creme....I believe that  if you don't learn respect...(for others)...for the property of others, for the opinion of others, etc...when you are young. You will have a hard time showing respect as you get older.

cremebrulee

Exactly, plus it defines My GD's world as she can do anything she wants to do at someone else's home and there will be no consequences...

cocobars

Hi creme!

I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement. 

Invisible

Cremebrulee,

I agree with Redrose. The kids need to understand respect for others and their property. It is a shame she will prevent you from seeing your GD just because of this incident. She sounds like a drama queen.  Hopefully by the next time she needs a free baby sitter she will forget all about the "incident."  Does she drop your GD off for the day? That would be better for you and your GD.

I am very careful about sharing information with my DIL. Something I think is quite innocent she will flame out about. I know my situation is different than yours. But I do not share too much info with my DIL.

Quote from: cremebrulee on January 10, 2010, 11:51:44 AM
There was a situation which occurred just recently, (without going into detail)...where my DIL and GD were at someone else's home...

My GD was reprimanded by the woman whose property they were on...and the woman explained to her why she wasn't supposed to be doing what she was doing...

Well, my DIL got all huffy and they haven't been back and won't be back.

How sad...for my GD, as she will not learn, that everyone's rules are different, and they are to be respected....

and, my DIL makes everything a huge drama anyway...she really takes insult when someone else corrects her daughter...me, if my son was doing something wrong, he'd not only hear it from the teacher, but then have to contend with me....as my parents did with me...a child needs to learn, that regardless how unfair some rules are, they are there for a reason, not to mention, there are different rules in different household...it's called behavior and learning to be polite.

cremebrulee

Hi Invisable,
No this didn't have anything to do with me...they were visiting someone else...
and no, she doesn't drop my GD off anymore for me to watch...we live many states away from each other...

cremebrulee

January 20, 2010, 09:38:00 AM #6 Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:56:36 AM by cremebrulee
Quote from: Anna on January 11, 2010, 09:34:25 AM
Creme, I did the same with my sons.  If they were being punished for something they did at school, they then had to contend with me.
My dil is the same way, she takes almost everything as a crticism of her mothering abilities.  So if you say something to her chld, you are really telling her she is not a good mother.   ???

God, it's like walking on egg shells, you have to be so careful what you say....so careful...it must be you know what for our son's living that way...afraid to say anything which might spark kindling, into a hot melding pot...

and yet, I keep thinking of my girlfriend....she is so wise, loving, caring and outgoing, she tends to be somewhat outspoken, and yet, all her DIL's adore her...the difference, they are not only educated, but confident, secure, and grown up....wonderful girls!

and let me add, I adore her for saying what she believes...you know where you stand with her...your not second guessing...she is a marvelous honest woman, who I not only admire, but have learned a lot from....