April 19, 2024, 12:34:41 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Seriously Frustrated!

Started by Pooh, September 21, 2011, 11:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose799

I'll be here pulling for you, too, Pooh.  FWIW, dd had some moles removed a couple years ago.  They were quite large & went rather deep.  They looked infected for a time & took a good long while to heal.  They also left ugly scars.  This last time, they used a laser treatment & they healed much better, as well as faster.  I don't know if they can use a laser in your situation, but you might want to inquire about it.  Wishing you the best, Pooh~

Pooh

I don't think my MD is equipped with a laser, probably the Derm's office was! Lol.  Thanks Rose.  He told me that after he got my records, depending on what type of cancerous cells it was, depends on how deep he had to go.  One type, as long as they get all the mole and it's roots, it's a small incision with just a couple of stitches, the other type, they have to get the roots and surrounding tissue, so he said a bigger incision and more stitches.  Heck, we didn't even know if it was both of them or just one of them.  So I may get there and it only be one of them and a small incision.  I don't even know and they had just got the records and I have been so frustrated I didn't think to ask.  I'll find out Thursday!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

You're in my thoughts Pooh.  Is there any kind of creme that can be put on to promote healing and lessen soreness/itching?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

That's a good idea Pam.  I will ask about that Thursday.  Last time they just had me use Neosporin and keep them covered for 3 days.  I had to leave the one in the middle of my back with a bandaid for a couple of weeks though, because of it's location and the rubbing.

Thanks!  I'll ask.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Doe

Just catching up and throwing in my "Let's go Pooh!".  Glad you found your champion nurse!

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

pam1

This may be a little TMI but it worked for me, then again, I'm not top heavy.  I had a pretty bad patch of psoriasis on my back near my bra strap area.  I got fed up and found these sticky cups at Kohls and just used those instead of a bra.  Might be an idea
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Hey!  That's a great idea too.  I'm not top heavy either, so that would probably work.  I wondered if a sports bra would help too.  You know, the bigger ones that have more of a full back instead of a strap rubbing?
Joseph Campbell

elsieshaye

Sending you lots of good vibes - let's go, Pooh!! 
This too shall pass.  All is well.

Pooh

You guys sick of my updates yet?  I am.

Well, I'm not MIA.  Got bad news yesterday when I got there.  The type of cancerous cells were melanoma, which is good news as it's the most common and easily taken care of.  It was in both moles so both need to be excised.  The bad news...of course.  The pathologist report showed that the samples show I have yet another lovely disease.  It's called dysplastic nevus syndrome.  Layman terms:  I am very fair skinned, freckled, blue eyed and have inherited all those, plus I'm classified with over 50 molelike places on my body.  The biopsies showed all this technical, medical stuff that says any mole I have that is raised, dark, irregular or such has a 100% chance of turning to melanoma.  Basically, I am carrying precancerous cells in all my raised moles.  It's just a matter of time before they start changing: 6 months, 5 years, 20 years...who knows...but they will.

Good news: as long as we stay on top of them, I will be fine
Bad news:  Besides the two places that have to go now, I have 7-8 others that have to go.  I will have to keep watch from now on on all the others or new ones.  He told me he was capable of doing this, but he didn't want to...Lol.  He wants me to see his surgeon that he uses and loves.  He's more comfortable knowing with the amount of cutting I'm going to have to have, that I see a surgeon.  So they have already called me this morning and I have an appt next Tuesday morning.

His biggest fear right now is what the autoimmune will do.  We know I'm going to scar badly because that's what my disease does.  But he said trauma will send other autoimmunes into a flare so he's suspecting that may happen with mine.

Ok...have I told you that I am having a personal pity party right now?
Joseph Campbell

amflautist

Oh Pooh, I'm so sorry to hear it's melanoma.  Keep on top of this!!  Yesterday I was reading a scientific article about cancer ... reading it because melanoma runs in our family ... and wondering if I needed to implement any of the scientific knowledge found there. 

The article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21673053 
So I am seriously thinking of reducing the amount of CHO in my diet, upping the protein.  Because I have already had approximately 10 moles removed, and I need to do whatever I can to stave off the inevitable.

FAFE

Pooh, I am so sorry to hear your diagnosis.  At least you have a great doctor and surgeon to keep on top of things.  In all of my 6 siblings, I am the only one that has not had any kind of skin cancers, but have a couple of other weird skin problems.  One of my sister's has had several places taken off of her scalp and face areas.  She once went for a job interview, with what looked like a giant Kotex on her head.  Only kind of bandage they could come up with!  BTW, she got the job!  Will keep you in my prayers.  Party on, sistah!  Pity or not, we'll be here for you. 

lancaster lady

Dearest Pooh :

You are a winner , not a loser , and you can beat this baby !!
With you every step ..... :-* :-*

luise.volta

Well, it's not your own personal pity party because we are all there with you. Bummer, bummer and yes, BUMMER! Lots of prayers and incantations, dancing by the light of the moon and such. We are a motley crew and we've got it covered. Bottom line, I am so sorry. I am going to have to read "When Bad Things Happen To Good People," again. I think it was written by Joshua Coleman (not sure) but I can't find my copy. Here's what's so: You are one of the "goodest" people I have ever known. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Pooh, not a chance this is your own personal anything - we're here, for sure! And I am one of the fair-skinned, mole-prone multitudes as well...my family has a history, I've had many things removed and expect to have many more done before I'm through. So sorry you're going through this, but am grateful (!) you caught it before it became even more serious!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb