March 28, 2024, 02:43:43 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Today on Oprah

Started by 2chickiebaby, January 08, 2010, 03:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2chickiebaby

She said, "if someone shows you who they are the first time, believe them"

Like if they lie to you the first time, they are liars...etc.

I have to remember this.  I keep giving too many chances to really mean people.  I should learn the first time.

Orly

Chickie,
You  live by that other axiom, "Hope springs eternal".  You give them a chance first and hope they have a good heart.   I find it great that you look for that nugget of good.

cocobars

Although I live by that other axiom also, I can see the truth in someone showing you who they are the first time.  I've had too many experiences proving that.  I have to remember that too and I'm with you there (or maybe with Oprah).

Sooner or later you just have to see it.

2chickiebaby

I know I do, Orly...heck, I always think people are good when I meet them and am always floored when they end up not being. They tip their hand and I think: "this can't be happening; they are having a bad day or something."

More chances and more chances and then I get my heart broken.  I have been tricked one too many times but I'll never change, I'm sure.  It's ingrained in me. 

liz

Reminds me of a song by Casting Crowns (contemporary Christian band) in the lyrics the song says "What if our families turned to Jesus and stopped asking Oprah what to do?!"

First impressions are a big deal, but we should always look deeper to be sure.

2chickiebaby

I agree with this, Liz....never would I turn to Oprah for life advice.  I did catch this one phrase and thought it was good.  Sometimes people tell you right off who they are....I never listen or see.  I usually let them keep on and on till I find out they already told me, right off the bat, who they are and what they're about. 

I've found this one thing that Oprah she said to be worth something.... :)

Pen

Actually, I think it was Maya Angelou who said it and Oprah repeated it. Dr. Angelou is a very wise, insightful woman.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb