March 28, 2024, 04:34:53 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

For what reasons does one marry?

Started by cremebrulee, January 06, 2010, 07:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

I know speaking from my own experience, I was raised in a time, that women didn't go to college...society can be so dabliitating...and society is not always right...but I actually thought and believed, subconsciously that I had to be married to be successful...????? Sheeesh....

A lot of people, both men and women marry for the wrong reasons....b/c they've made love prematurely and now feel like they must marry that person...
because they have been dating so long, and they're families expect them to get married and actually pressure them into it...or, they get married to be taken care of....

RedRose

I got married because I fell in love and I felt that love from him...this is all that mattered to me.......BOTH times!!!

cremebrulee

Quote from: RedRose on January 06, 2010, 09:18:54 AM
I got married because I fell in love and I felt that love from him...this is all that mattered to me.......BOTH times!!!

Your very fortunate...I mistook the need to be married for love...I mean, at 17 how much can you love someone or understand it, yanno?  I was a baby!  But thought I knew every thing there was to know...LOL

cremebrulee

QuoteAnna
I was in love with my husband, we were engaged, then I got pregnant.  So 7 months after we got married, we were parents.  My hubby & I were both 19 when we married, & parents when we were barely 20.
My family is not huggy, kissy, at least they weren't when I was growing up.  We had every material thing we needed growing up, no extra's tho, but not a lot of hugs & kisses.  If I fell & hurt myself, it was, "get up & stop your crying", "don't be such a baby", or, "when I was little I had a much bigger cut than that & I didn't cry".  These are just some of the things my parents said to me.  My mother mostly.  My Dad ruled the roost but didn't anger easily, my mother yelled & screamed on a daily basis.  I think part of the reason I wanted to get married was to escape to a quieter place.  My hubby & I have been HAPPILY married for almost 32 years.

What a beautiful story Anna, thank you for sharing....!!!!!   ;D

one of my cousins and her hubby married when she was 15 years old....they were married Christmas....yanno they are still together today!  They are a joy to be around....love them dearly and admire them....

I'm so happy for you...your very lucky Anna....very fortunate to have a good marriage.....

hugs
Creme

Orly

Sometimes you just know.  I met my hubby when I was 15, married at 18 and still going strong after 36 close to 37 years.

technorebel

The first time I got married, I went through with it because even though as the date got closer and I was pretty sure I was making a big mistake, I was too embarrassed to call the wedding off.  How's that for major league stupid?

I've been married this time for 25 years.  Sometimes you just don't get it right the first time, but what the hell was I thinking!

cremebrulee

Quote from: technorebel on January 06, 2010, 02:45:22 PM
The first time I got married, I went through with it because even though as the date got closer and I was pretty sure I was making a big mistake, I was too embarrassed to call the wedding off.  How's that for major league stupid?

I've been married this time for 25 years.  Sometimes you just don't get it right the first time, but what the hell was I thinking!

That is not stupid at all...my brother did the same thing...he didn't want to get married, and they didn't have to, but he felt obligated...she ended up running around on him with two of his BEST Friends...now that is stupid....

but lots of people get married and they shouldn't and know it...

and besides...we were young yanno.  Good excuse huh?

technorebel

Yep, I was 19 at the time.  Maybe if I'd been older, I could have handled having to explain why the wedding was called off--"well, you see I just realized that I must be friggin insane to go through with this!" ha

SunnyDays09

The first time around - we had to.  It was what young people did back then when pregnant.   
  Second time - I have no idea.  Just loved him soooo much.  We dated for six years before
marrying.  I think I put the screws to him for I felt my clock ticking faster and faster and I w
wanted my kids while still young enough to run after them!!
   We have been married since 1984. O.M.G!! 

cocobars

I don't remember anymore.  He was an air force pilot (Lt. Col), and a psychologist.  I think he fried my brain...

RedRose

cocobars

Thank you Red!  It's not all that far off though... You've read my posts

I rest my case   :o