March 28, 2024, 04:18:08 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Running up the Charges

Started by cremebrulee, January 06, 2010, 07:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invisible

AnnieB,

My DIL in not frugal by any stretch of the imagination. If she wants something she buys it with a credit card. She is and always has been totally irresponsible. Her spending was irresponsible even when my son was alive, now that he is gone it has intensified. My son acted as a husband/father to keep her immature behavior in check. In fact, he often told me, he felt as if he had 2 children; his daughter and his wife. My DIL is spending my sons death insurance and his inheritance like water. "A fool and her money is soon parted.
"
Yes, there are responsible young adults in the world....unfortunately not all of them are responsible.

Quote from: AnnieB on January 06, 2010, 03:23:33 PM
The young people today I know are frugal and not into name brands.  They work hard and are aware of the mess our country is in with credit cards and debt.

Maybe we know different young people?

cremebrulee

Quote from: Invisible on January 21, 2010, 06:39:03 AM
Technorebel,

Have you tried shopping at the Kid Consignment Shops? There are plenty of gently worn or sometimes never worn designer label items. I have even seen leather jackets for children. Your DIL would never know the difference.

Quote from: technorebel on January 06, 2010, 03:15:52 PM
I do know what you mean.  I kind of get the idea that a lot of young people today think it's shameful not to wear designer-label stuff and do their darndest to imitate the brainless celebrities they so admire. 
I'm quite sure that the reason my gifts of clothing for the baby are rejected by my dil is precisely because they're from places like JC Penney or even (gasp) Walmart. 

And I also think that since I'm partially subsidizing their lives by driving 70 miles each way to babysit for free and have been paying their credit card bill for the past year or so, that they should try to...I don't know..be frugal? 

I actually dared suggest today to dil when she complained to me again about the high cost of diapers ( I think she is hinting that I should pick them up) that she should try the store brand.  She made that face.

OMG, I shop at consignments shops for myself, but my DIL, heck no, no way, would she want anything from a consignment shop, and by the way, that is the one reason why my son said he thinks she threw the clothes away, b/c they were from a consignment shop...

I said,
"Let me tell you something".  I work with gals who make 6 figures, and not including they're husbands who also make 6 figures.  They all have children your daughter's age.  They went shopping with me....when ever the vender would come into work, we would all go down together and shop...

This woman is nuts...one time she came home and we were all waiting for her, so we could go out to eat, which she never cares how long she makes someone wait...and my son had a knitted cap on my GD, cuz it was cold out....well, she grabs the child, and says...."My daughter isn't going out of this house, looking like a homeless person???''

One, we all wore those caps when we were young
two, all the kids still wear those caps now
three, you will see most skiers with those caps on...

she takes the child, in the bedroom and combs her hair, and we go out, with nothing on that child's head, b/c she thinks it looks awful??????

Invisible

Cremebrulee,

I love Consignment shops. My DIL has told me I must have low self esteem because I shop at consignment stores. Apparently, she think I don't think enough of myself to buy new. One word sums up all of this stinking thinking....immaturity.

However, I would still would buy items for my GD at a Consignment Shop and NEVER tell my DIL where I purchased the item.

Your DIL is not thinking clearly when she does not put a warm cap on a child's head.

Quote from: cremebrulee on January 21, 2010, 07:02:16 AM
Technorebel,

Have you tried shopping at the Kid Consignment Shops? There are plenty of gently worn or sometimes never worn designer label items. I have even seen leather jackets for children. Your DIL would never know the difference.

I do know what you mean.  I kind of get the idea that a lot of young people today think it's shameful not to wear designer-label stuff and do their darndest to imitate the brainless celebrities they so admire. 
I'm quite sure that the reason my gifts of clothing for the baby are rejected by my dil is precisely because they're from places like JC Penney or even (gasp) Walmart. 

And I also think that since I'm partially subsidizing their lives by driving 70 miles each way to babysit for free and have been paying their credit card bill for the past year or so, that they should try to...I don't know..be frugal? 

I actually dared suggest today to dil when she complained to me again about the high cost of diapers ( I think she is hinting that I should pick them up) that she should try the store brand.  She made that face.

OMG, I shop at consignments shops for myself, but my DIL, heck no, no way, would she want anything from a consignment shop, and by the way, that is the one reason why my son said he thinks she threw the clothes away, b/c they were from a consignment shop...

I said,
"Let me tell you something".  I work with gals who make 6 figures, and not including they're husbands who also make 6 figures.  They all have children your daughter's age.  They went shopping with me....when ever the vender would come into work, we would all go down together and shop...

This woman is nuts...one time she came home and we were all waiting for her, so we could go out to eat, which she never cares how long she makes someone wait...and my son had a knitted cap on my GD, cuz it was cold out....well, she grabs the child, and says...."My daughter isn't going out of this house, looking like a homeless person???''

she takes the child, in the bedroom and combs her hair, and we go out, with nothing on that child's head, b/c she thinks it looks awful??????

cremebrulee

Quote from: Invisible on January 21, 2010, 11:01:57 AM
Cremebrulee,

I love Consignment shops. My DIL has told me I must have low self esteem because I shop at consignment stores. Apparently, she think I don't think enough of myself to buy new. One word sums up all of this stinking thinking....immaturity.

However, I would still would buy items for my GD at a Consignment Shop and NEVER tell my DIL where I purchased the item.

Your DIL is not thinking clearly when she does not put a warm cap on a child's head.

Quote from: cremebrulee on January 21, 2010, 07:02:16 AM
Technorebel,

I said,

My sister started taking me to consignment shops and we've gotten some really really beautiful label clothes there....my sister was actually labeled the best dressed woman in our facility....

and oh, by the way, I didn't buy clothes for my GD at a consignment shop...those clothes were bought from a vendor who comes into our facility...they were brand new...

what really bothers me, is the non thinking mother (dil) who would open a package which came in the mail, to your daughter, and take the fun and joy away from the child, of opening her own gifts...that is how jealous she is....

I was told by my counselor, that she wants to be the only one who gives her daughter anything. 

AnnieB

My DIL is the savviest <sp?> shopper I've met - she learns from her mother.  she knows how to spend her money wisely and does thrift shop shopping mixed with other shopping -- and still manages to look stylish.    I am thrifty but not so savvy!   I admire her a lot!