March 28, 2024, 04:45:41 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Books?

Started by cremebrulee, January 05, 2010, 03:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

What is the last book you read, and why did or didn't you like it?
What is your favorite book?

2chickiebaby

I don't usually read fiction but the book I love is called, 'Raney' by Clyde Edgerton.  Totally hilarious...about a Southern girl, very naive who marries this man, Charles.

She is a small town girl and he isn't.  Just the cutest book I've ever read. Her Mama and Aunt Flossie had lunch with Charles's Mother who is a vegetarian. They don't know what that is. 

If you get the chance and want to read the most charming book, read, 'Raney'. 

Orly

Oh gee, I read almost everything I can get my hands on.  Fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, romances, tech manuals, if it isn't nailed down or in someone else's hands I'll pretty much pick it up and read it cover to cover.  One of our local bookstores is closing and they are selling their stock like hotcakes.  I've gotten a whole slew of books in hardback by authors I just love but, normally have to wait until they come out in paperback. At fifty per cent off, those aren't much different from the large paperbacks.   Then I recycle these around to friends and after that I donate to the library, senior center or take paperbacks down to the county jail for their library.

cremebrulee

Quote from: 2chickiebaby on January 05, 2010, 04:01:59 PM
I don't usually read fiction but the book I love is called, 'Raney' by Clyde Edgerton.  Totally hilarious...about a Southern girl, very naive who marries this man, Charles.

She is a small town girl and he isn't.  Just the cutest book I've ever read. Her Mama and Aunt Flossie had lunch with Charles's Mother who is a vegetarian. They don't know what that is. 

If you get the chance and want to read the most charming book, read, 'Raney'.

Thanks so much Chickie...yanno, I love to read, but do not have time...I have so many books that I'm itchin to get my nose into....but I'm going to write this down....

cremebrulee

Quote from: Orly on January 05, 2010, 10:22:52 PM
Oh gee, I read almost everything I can get my hands on.  Fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, romances, tech manuals, if it isn't nailed down or in someone else's hands I'll pretty much pick it up and read it cover to cover.  One of our local bookstores is closing and they are selling their stock like hotcakes.  I've gotten a whole slew of books in hardback by authors I just love but, normally have to wait until they come out in paperback. At fifty per cent off, those aren't much different from the large paperbacks.   Then I recycle these around to friends and after that I donate to the library, senior center or take paperbacks down to the county jail for their library.

My girlfriend has two books out, the first one I couldn't put down...it's a paranormal murder mystery, and I will forwarn you, it does contain some very strong sexual content...but I could not put it down, nor could I figure out the ending which I loved....

1.  Dead On by Kelly Jameson

2. Shards of Summer by Kelly Jameson

I have Shards of Summer, but have not been able to read it...I had all good intentions of getting into it over Christmas vacation, but didn't.  I also have Dan Brown's new book, which I also can't wait to start...I've heard, from several people who read it, that they couldn't put it down....

I buy most of my books used from Amazon.com....

Orly

January 06, 2010, 11:31:23 AM #5 Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:54:05 PM by Orly
LOL, Her content couldn't be any stronger than Laurell K. Hamilton's, and I survive THAT with just a few singed eyebrows!  She is better than waxing them...I just read some of her books and wham...eyebrows are nice and tidy again.

John Ringo has a series that is about an ex-navy seal that gets pretty hot from the male point of view...yeah the main guy is a "dark" good guy with leanings towards a bit of rape (and he knows he has a problem and tries to stay out of trigger scenes).  In that series HIS OWN MOM has written a disavowal of him "I didn't raise him this way. I just don't know where he picked it up from!"  in the front of the book.  Even so, I enjoyed the trip he leads one on about fighting terrorists and their nasty plans for the USA.

Orly

Right atm, I'm reading a complete escapist book by Gena Showalter.   Pure total waste of time....and I'm enjoying it to the fullest.

Orly

Ken Follet's book "Pillars of the Earth", is a good read if you like historical fiction. 

It is about building a cathedral in England.  About the desire of a deeply religious Prior and a master mason, who have a vision to fullfill building it.  Against them are the people who want to line their own pockets with the money/materials needed to build it.  Set against the backdrop of King Stephen's and Queen Maud's civil war for the rule of England at the time, it is a nice diversion from who had the right to rule.  There are two or three sub-plots woven into the story line that capture you interest too.

Alicev

I read fiction less and less nowadays but the last one I read was the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson. These are thrillers.
The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

The two all time books I remember leaving a big impression on me are Gabriel García Márquez "100 years of solitude" and Bulkagov's "Master and Margarita".