March 28, 2024, 04:32:30 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Time Is So Precious

Started by rochelle, September 09, 2011, 05:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rochelle

I have always done the best I can for my son, he is my only child.  Our relationship is not close and I am heart broken.  He will not share why we are not closer.  I raised him as a single parent for the most part.  His father did not play the active role he should have.  For years I continued to see his father off and on hoping he would be the father & man I needed him to be.  I think this is why my son is angry and distant. He is 30 years old and I continue to try and enrich our relationship.  Also I think his angry henders him from reaching his full potential. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Doe

Hi Rochelle-

We mothers of sons have such similar stories on this board so know that we understand how you feel!

My advice is just to keep sorting out the role you want to play as the mother of an adult son.  It sounds like you are someone who wants to give a lot. You can continue to give but you have to drop your expectations of how you want him to act.  (ay, there's the rub!). 

I think that if we could all turn our worry and concern for our sons into quiet admiration,  the world would be a better place.  That's what I'm trying to do.

pam1

Welcome Rochelle :)

Please read the Forum Agreement in the category Open Me First.  We ask all new members to do so, not b/c there is anything wrong with your post.

Glad you found us
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

For me, having people be how they are and getting that is their business, not mine, is the hardest thing I have to keep reminding myself to do.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Welcome Rochelle.  My suggestion is to give him space and leave him alone.  Any fixing it going to have to come from him.  Being he is 30, he's past the point that most children start maturing and you will just have to leave it up to him.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell