March 28, 2024, 12:14:21 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

The Crone Image

Started by Doe, September 05, 2011, 07:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doe

I've stumbled on the Crone symbol a few times over the years and would like to know more about this.   One website talks about the period of isolation (you just want to be by yourself) where  you accept the death of yourself as Mother, then reclaim all of yourself.  Then you rejoin the community as someone who gives to her community (the wise woman...). 

Does anyone here have any websites or books to recommend that I can read more about this concept?    Lacking an older mother figure (she died when I was pregnant with #2) I'm looking more models.

Pen

Have you read Women Who Run With the Wolves? The auther discusses the Crone in some detail, if I remember correctly. I lost my mom before my children were born and although I have had other women to look on as role models (& this site has been a lifesaver) I often find myself flailing around trying to negotiate these strange waters of mom/not mom.

Thanks for the reminder, and please pass on any information or resources you find. I'm really interested in this. I can relate to the stages you mention; I think I'm at the end of the stage of accepting the end of my mothering life and starting to move into reclaiming all of myself. Very interesting indeed!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

I always found the concept interesting and now that I have entered that stage in my life, it is becoming more obvious that we do have to go through this process.  The realization that your role in life has changed, but that it's not necessarily bad.  We are women, we are people and we have purpose.  My Mother says life has seasons and is always changing.  You have to learn to adapt and enjoy the different views, if not, you get stuck in Winter.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

I second Women Who Run With Wolves.  Good, good book.

Also, it's unrelated but Motherless Daughters is an awesome read too. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

sesamejane

I look forward to reading 'running with wolves.'  I have heard lots of good things about it.

The first time I heard about the concept of the 'crone,' was when I worked in a health food store in upstate NY.  A woman, an herbalist, gave a workshop that I attended.  Her name was Susun Weed (really!), and she had written a book called 'the menopausal years' - this was back in the 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susun_Weed

I think she has a website and has updated her book.  I have the original version, but it is packed away.  Actually a really good book.

Doe

I haven't heard about this book so thanks for the referrals - I'll check it out.  And Susan's website is where I ran into this concept!  I will come back with more when I find out more.

wouldratherbeincolorado

Women Who Run With Wolves is an amazing book and every women should own a hard-cover copy.  It got me out of my abusive relationship with my husband.  Lots of strength and wisdom. 

Doe - look up Maiden, Mother and Crone and you will find an abundance of information on the subject.  You will see that the concept is pagan-based, but don't let that deter you.  The pagan religion is an earth-based religion.  Pagans are good people who believe in doing good for the earth and for their community.  Unfortunately, they've gotten a bad rep.

I was invited as a guest to a crone party.  It was an amazing evening filled with great food, great women, excellent conversation.  See if you can find anything on crone parties and maybe host one of your own with your closest friends.  It was unforgettable.  Good luck in your search!

Pooh

A Crone Party!  Oh My!  I would love that!  What a great idea!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Doe

Thanks, Wouldie-  I'll take a look.

Oh, and I'm not Christian - ok on Pagan stuff - but I draw the line at naked dancing in the full moon.

wouldratherbeincolorado

LOL!!! I would have to agree with you there.