March 28, 2024, 02:11:10 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Thanksgiving

Started by Scoop, August 31, 2011, 06:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

Scoop, sounds like it is working out the best it could :)  Glad you found the humor in the chili conversation lol.

When you asked about the treasure hunt all I could think of is "chase the turkey."  There's a bunch of wild turkey out here and every year you'll see some people chasing them before thanksgiving lol.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Two things I used to do with all my Sons parties that were done outside.  If I did a treasure hunt, I started them all off with a paper with a clue to the location of the next clue.  Every time they found the location, there would be the next clue there for the next location and so on until it led to the treasure.  I found that one harder with smaller kids because they tended just to follow everyone around...Lol.

If we were outside in a wooded area or park, I preferred doing scavenger hunts.  Give them all a piece of paper with how ever many items you want them to find.  I would list things like:

1.  A stick from the ground that has a leaf still attached.
2.  A pine cone
3.  A flat rock
4.  A nut

etc.....and gave them all the list and a plastic bag.  Whoever found the items first, got a big prize and everyone else that found all the items, got a smaller prize.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Scoop, you've got this covered!

Take some printer paper and a box of crayons for leaf and other natural texture rubbings.
Have materials on hand to make bird feeders with suet and bird seed on pine cones.
Our local Forestry Station has heaps of free stuff for kids like stickers, Woodsy Owl rulers, and old topo maps (for coloring or using as table coverings for the kids table.) Perhaps you can scrounge something similar from your local agency.

Have heaps of fun!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

I hope your weekend is turning out great!  Can't wait to hear how it went!  We're in your pocket!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Scoop

Well friends, we had a great weekend.  DD and DNiece were INSEPARABLE the whole weekend, I'm sure if we had a double bed for them, they would have slept in the same bed!  They paddle-boated, played barbies and even SWAM (a little bit, the water was REALLY cold).

I spent most of my time with SIL, whom I love like a sister!

BIL & DNephew did boy things together.

DH entertained MIL & FIL.

MIL is usually on her best behaviour when there are witnesses, so she was mostly good.  Of course, she drove me crazy a little bit, but nothing worth writing about.

No birthday gift for me, but she did give us another anniversary gift.  We left it at the cottage as a "house warming" gift for my Mom.  She'll appreciate it.  MIL liked the birthday gift we got for her, but I had to remind DH to give it to her.

See?  I posted a few pictures on FB from the weekend.  But I'm waiting for SIL's permission to post pics of the DN's.  And of the pictures, there are maybe 2 or 3 with MIL and none with FIL.  They didn't DO anything with the kids!

I would have to say, all in all, it was as good as it could be.

Sassy

Ah, Canadian Thanksgiving!!  (Took me a moment).  Glad it was such a success.  You are a great family woman and it tickles to see how your optimisim paid off.    (Little happy dance).

Pooh

Great job Scoop!  Glad it went well.
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Scoop, that's wonderful! You did a good thing there, glad it all worked out.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

Awesome!  What did you end up doing for the treasure hunt?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Ruth

I'm so very happy for you Scoop!  I like to picture it in my mind, what it was like to be in a real cottage.  I guess there were woods and a lake, I see the front porch with a swing on it.  Pine needles crunching under foot, clean cold fresh air!  And owls hooting and animals prowling around at night.  I used to love adventures like this when I was younger.  Hope you enjoy many many more!  And last but not least, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOOP!   ....and also Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, precious one!

Scoop

We didn't end up having the treasure hunt, we didn't need it to fill time.  We did go on a nature walk to see the surrounding area, but it was SO beautiful out we spent our time down by the water.

Thanks Ruth - we do have woods and a lake, but the swing is on the back porch (it faces the water).  The fall colours were just beautiful and the lake was quiet and peaceful.

SIL & BIL are really outdoors people, so they loved the canoe.  We're on a quiet (shallow) bay, so the kids were allowed to take the paddle boat out by themselves.  They were SO proud.

The guys helped DH with a bit of work around the cottage, things he needed strong men for.

So all in all, we had a lot to be thankful for.

bdwell1904

So glad it all worked out. Sounds beautiful

forever spring

Me too, happy it all worked out. Such moments in life have to be savoured, they add to up the pleasant memory file!  :) Really happy for you.