March 28, 2024, 04:30:38 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Did everone survive Christmas ?

Started by mom2, December 25, 2009, 07:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2chickiebaby

I coudnt' agree more...no sweeter love than a Grandmother.  They do love you and you don't need to be perfect.  They think you are perfect!

greeneyes100

I help the disadvantaged on Christmas Day.  I dont see my children, I see people who are worse off then me, with more problems than me so I am glad I can help them smile on Christmas Day and the warmth and appreciation I get is beautiful for my soul.

2chickiebaby

You're a good lady, Greeneyes....turning lemons into lemonade :)

greeneyes100

Pen

I like Greeneyes way of dealing with the holidays. There are people who appreciate the love we have to share; why not put our efforts towards them rather than towards those who don't appreciate us?

Looking ahead, I can see that there may be a time when my arms will ache with the desire to hold a grandchild. If that's not possible for whatever reason, I will volunteer at a hospital - when my DD was a baby she was hospitalized for awhile and when my friends came in to visit us, the nurses would hand them babies to rock. The closeness to a normal heartbeat helped the little ones regulate their own rhythms. One of the infants was a 'drug baby' who stole the heart of my dear friend. I think she came every day just to rock him :) I don't know if hospitals still do this, but if they do, I'll be there.

Happy Days, I must say the Bogle Petit Syrah is one of my all-time faves, too. I'm GF as well...small world!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

SunnyDays09

Quote from: penstamen on December 28, 2009, 08:15:20 PM
I like Greeneyes way of dealing with the holidays. There are people who appreciate the love we have to share; why not put our efforts towards them rather than towards those who don't appreciate us?

Looking ahead, I can see that there may be a time when my arms will ache with the desire to hold a grandchild. If that's not possible for whatever reason, I will volunteer at a hospital - when my DD was a baby she was hospitalized for awhile and when my friends came in to visit us, the nurses would hand them babies to rock. The closeness to a normal heartbeat helped the little ones regulate their own rhythms. One of the infants was a 'drug baby' who stole the heart of my dear friend. I think she came every day just to rock him :) I don't know if hospitals still do this, but if they do, I'll be there.

Happy Days, I must say the Bogle Petit Syrah is one of my all-time faves, too. I'm GF as well...small world!
You said a mouthful.  Not just during the Holidays but all the time?  I would not want to force anyone to HAVE to spend time with me and/or my family out of some obligation.  Which, that is what it seemed all the time *with them.  So NO MORE. 
   No more unhappy.  Unsmiling faces because of me.  Who wants that?

As for the gluten free, Thanksgiving was gf too and no one missed it at all.  From the stuffing, to the cornbread rolls and the pumpkie spice bread - all terrific.  Oh, even the base for the gravy was GF.  A bit more costly to make, but easier on everyone.   ;)

greeneyes100

thanks Happydays. Included in my goals for 2010 is giving some of my time to the less fortunate. In Aussie the hospitals are always looking for a loving hand, a warm heart and a smile for the little ones and the elderly so this is a priority for me. I will now give to those most in need.

Pen

Good on you, Greeneyes! What a loving, giving spirit you project...food for thought for the rest of us.

HappyDays, as for obligations, I really really dislike pity invites and will avoid them at all costs. It would be good to have 'a previous engagement' with those in need scheduled! I'm definitely looking into it.

And speaking of food, we're not only GF, but have some CF (casein/dairy-free) family members, too. Whew! It gets a little crazy trying to make everyone's traditional faves, but I conquered pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving, yay!! Even very picky DIL, who fortunately doesn't have food allergies, was satisfied. This Christmas we also managed nicely, with compliments to the chef (me.) Now if only I can invent a rice-based phyllo dough for baklava :)

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Invisible

I have thought of helping the disadvantaged. Maybe another year. It has only been 27 months since my son died and I am still grieving. I must admit part of the grieving process is anger and reclusive tendency. I tend to protect myself from callous and or unkind remarks. Maybe some year I will feel stronger. It is a wonderful thing you are doing.

Quote from: greeneyes100 on December 28, 2009, 06:53:59 PM
I help the disadvantaged on Christmas Day.  I dont see my children, I see people who are worse off then me, with more problems than me so I am glad I can help them smile on Christmas Day and the warmth and appreciation I get is beautiful for my soul.

2chickiebaby

Dear Invisible,
All that you've been through just breaks my heart.  We will be here for you.  God Bless You..many, many future blessings!!

Invisible

Happy Days,
Yes, I knew some would understand. I am in good company...others who know and understand what I am going through. The only thing in life we can count on is change. Nothing remains the same. No situation will remain constant.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Quote from: HappyDays09 on December 28, 2009, 12:09:55 PM
Quote from: Invisible on December 27, 2009, 04:07:57 PM
Well thank God I made it through one more Christmas. Several weeks before Christmas I dropped off gifts to my DIL and GD. I have never seen my GD on Christmas or any other holiday for that matter. However, I am allow to drop gifts off. That is the end of my Christmas. I do my best to stay out of the stores and play like it is just another day. The music tears at my heart. I am always glad when the day is over.

I haven't seen my two grandchildren either.  I take comfort knowing there are many that have not.   
   The music has a different affect on me, I just cannot stand it.  Seems to be the same in all of the stores and just gets monotonous.  It's over.  Let's think SPRING!!!

just2baccepted

Barely.  We had a major snow storm.  I knew it was coming but my DH drove me down to gym just in case it did start.  I worked out for about an hour and by then we ran down to Wal-Mart.  Boy was that a mistake.  It was blowing snow and there were times when we were driving back to house that we had to practically stop in the road b/c we couldnt' see in front of us.  Then we snowed in for Christmas and didn't see anyone.  We sat around and ate the turkey and fixings I made and watched movies that we rented.

Invisible

2 Chickie,
Thanks for your kindness and continued understanding. I hope you have a great 2010... We all deserve a healthy dose of blessings for 2010....

Quote from: 2chickiebaby on December 30, 2009, 07:27:47 AM
Dear Invisible,
All that you've been through just breaks my heart.  We will be here for you.  God Bless You..many, many future blessings!!

2chickiebaby

Especially to you, Invisible...great blessings in 2010.  I'm expecting good things. :)

mom2

. It has only been 27 months since my son died and I am still grieving

Invisible,

Seeing this makes me feel so guilty for ever complaining; seems like I have no problems compared to what has happened to you.. my heart is with you.