March 28, 2024, 06:32:43 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Why are Mothers of Daughters always loved and Mothers of Sons aren't?

Started by 2chickiebaby, December 20, 2009, 07:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

My younger sister's mother in law never cared for her...you see, my brother in laws family are English and still class traditional.  His mother was very prestigious and talented...and she made it very apparent that no one would be good enough for her son.

Since our mother passed away, my sister makes certain that they drive out and spend Christmas day with his mother...she said, "she's 83 and since our mom died, it gave me a whole new perspective...I don't know how long DH has with his mother, and I think it's important that we go see her several times a year.

Now there is a woman that could have really been spitful and hateful...but she wasn't...oh, she did back off, only b/c her MIL wanted her to...they speak, they respect each other when they are together and this Christmas, I'm going to toast my sister for being such a caring DIL

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Invisible

What is that saying??? A daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life; a son is a son until he takes a wife.

I think that is the way it goes...I will have to google it....to check my memory. However, that is the jest of the saying.

I know some mothers an daughters can have extremely dysfunctional relationships but perhaps that's not the norm? All I know is the relationship between my DIL an myself was bad from the moment I met her. It went down hill from that point on.

2chickiebaby

You are on my heart and in my prayers.  You are not Invisible