April 24, 2024, 04:25:28 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I am only responsible for my behavior

Started by not like the movies, August 07, 2011, 08:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not like the movies

My husband and I had a big 90th birthday bash at our home for his father. I sent an invite text message to my distant daughter for her to come and bring our grandson (being held pawn). We had over 50 people (we have a large backyard), all family. I got a response that she did not have a good experience at the last family event (son's wedding in May, nothing unpleasant happened at all) so she wasn't going to come but she said to give her best wishes grandpa. I responded "will do".  The event started at two. At 3pm she called asking if she could come. My husband responded of course. She came with our grandson and her new boyfriend (she is still married to our son in law). Everyone greeted them openly and warmly and it was a wonderfully pleasant day. I kept busy with others and hostess duties. We had brief casual conversation. She shared some of her pregnancy trials (boyfriend's baby). I listened, I was inviting and I was civil. That was it. Kept it simple. I was overjoyed to see our grandson and he was as joyful as a five year old could be. I got my hug tank filled. He played with cousins, went swimming, and reconnected with us. I don't know what the future holds but I no longer hold my breath. What will be will be. I can only do my part the best I can. Not perfect but with forward progress.

This event reinforces how I can not control what others do only my responses and my reactions to what others do.
When you pick up a stick you get both ends!

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Success!  So happy for you!  So glad you got that hug tank filled up too!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

lmesich

Thats awsome! I like how you had no expectations and just went with the flow.