March 28, 2024, 06:11:24 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Book: I Need Your Love, Is That True?

Started by Stardust, August 07, 2011, 10:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stardust

Two books that I found very helpful to me over the last few years are by Byron Katie (also see her website and YouTube videos). The books are:

I Need Your Love... Is That True?

Loving What Is

She invites you to question your thoughts by using 4 questions, then turning those thoughts around. It's amazing how you can suddenly see a different perspective, which helps you to release your attachment to the situation.

luise.volta

Thanks. I am going to have a look at them. It seems to me that if I "need" your love, it means that I do not have the resources within to sustain me. Wouldn't that put me in a dependent situation? I think, "I enjoy your love and I value your love" includes love in our lives without losing self.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Kind of the Socratic method of figuring out why/or if we feel angry or hurt, I'm guessing?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Stardust

It's a good book in that is provides lots of real life dialoging examples that she's done with people (look up her website too: byronkatie.com and the various youtube videos). Her method makes you question your thoughts and really ask yourself... can you know for sure that what you're thinking is really absolutely true? You then continue working your thoughts through an inquiry system - one statement at a time.