March 29, 2024, 02:45:00 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Learning to Laugh/trying to understand

Started by 2chickiebaby, December 16, 2009, 04:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2chickiebaby

I've never had trouble laughing or looking at a situation and thinking it's funny.  I guess what we need to do, when faced with difficult people, is to learn to laugh at them.  See it  as funny instead of taking it personally.

It takes a strong person to do it and I'll admit, I'm not that strong but at least, when difficult people enter our lives, instead of running and hiding, just stay in there and find something funny things about it.

When someone is acting out or trying to put you in a bad light, when you've done nothing to them, they must be hurting, or terrified that they are losing their place in their loved one's eyes.  I can see them as having to hurt you in that person's eyes so they can feel better about themselves. 

Kind of pathetically funny?

Pen

Me, too! I think humor is a good trait to have, although it can go over the line to sarcasm. My parents drifted over that line more than they should've and I know the dangers to one's own perspective towards others when that happens. I do try to keep the lid on when thinking of DIL 'cos I don't think it's fair to approach her with snarkiness in my head. But I must admit to having a bit of a chuckle with DH over some of this! DS inherited our love for humor (raised on Seinfeld, come on...) but DIL's mom is one grim woman. Even though she and her husband pushed for the marriage in a big way (we didn't see the need to rush) she didn't even crack a smile for the wedding pics! DIL must take after her in the humor dep't, although she smiles more often. Come to think of it, I've not seen DIL laugh much unless it is at someone else's expense.

So I'm going to keep laughing, even through my tears at times. These really are ridiculous situations we're in! Might as well.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

just2baccepted

Quote from: 2chickiebaby on December 16, 2009, 04:47:10 AM

When someone is acting out or trying to put you in a bad light, when you've done nothing to them, they must be hurting, or terrified that they are losing their place in their loved one's eyes.  I can see them as having to hurt you in that person's eyes so they can feel better about themselves. 

Kind of pathetically funny?

Well said, I couldn't agree more with this statement.  Makes total sense.  My MIL must feel that she has to tear me down to make her self feel better.  Its all about insecure people, whether it be a DIL or MIL.