March 28, 2024, 02:08:43 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Not feeling good enough and important

Started by Smilesback@u, August 02, 2011, 06:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilesback@u

I moped around yesterday because a couple days ago I got a big hit emotionally from my Dad's email (the never ending saga of not being the favorite daughter) and I let him get to me.  I started feeling pretty unimportant (and jealous of my sister) and mad.  Why do I still want my Dad's approval? It is really like beating my head against a wall.  I figure I have this basic insecure feeling to work on all my life.  What will I do?  I am going to see the GK this Friday and I am carrying around this baggage of not feeling good enough when what I want is to be strong for them, build their self-esteem and love them up.  It gets pretty freaking boring to be focused on ME ME ME all the time.  Maybe that is what happens, as a consequence of not having your parents' attention - you feel like you need a lot of attention to make you feel important?  I know the answer is inside me - to give myself the attention I need so I can give attention to my GK.  So today, what I will do next, is focus my attention on doing something good for myself, build up my own self-esteem and get ready for this trip.  Gag!  Do we ever grow up and not need others' approval?

luise.volta

We all ride that wave at times. Thank heaven we no longer have to do it alone. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Smilesback@u

:'(Thank you, really glad I am not alone today.  ONWARD!  Soldier on, hugs and   :-*

Pooh

Perfectly normal Smiles! I would worry about you if you didn't want a good relationship and attention from your Dad.  Remember our mantra, "It is what it is and will be until it isn't."  It may seem it's about you, but it's about him.  The only part that is about you is how you choose to react.  You know he is this way and there is no changing him unless he decides to.  So say, "Phooey!  He is so missing out on me!"

You are wonderful and it is his loss!  Now, smile.........smile again.......and get ready to go see those GKs!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

lancaster lady

Pen

Smiles, I have a similar dad issue. I agree with Pooh, his loss. But I know how hard it is to not let years of poor treatment zing you. {{{hugs}}}
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Smilesback@u

I got instant :'( warm tears from your compassion, Pooh and Pen 

It is more about him -- and what he is missing -- too bad for him, his loss!  just a bit of a zing, like chewing on aluminum foil on my fillings -- zing!  Yowzah!   :)   THANK YOU!

"It is what it is and will be until it isn't."
:(