March 28, 2024, 06:50:26 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Hello Ladies!! I decided to come back!! (Missed it here)

Started by Bride2Be, December 12, 2009, 07:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bride2Be

Hello everyone!  It's been a while since I've posted here and I thought I would say hello again!!  I see some of your stories haven't changed (sorry for that), some of you are new (Nice to meet cha!!) some are still giving great advice and have tons of understanding (Ms. Volta ;D). 

I'm no longer a bride to be, I am now a wife!!  We got married in November and it went off without a hitch. 

As far my situation (for any who remember me) some things have changed, some have stayed the same but not as uncomfortable.  I think my husband's mother and I have come to a common ground, or at least I have, I can't speak for her.  We have an understanding that we aren't necessarily friends, we just have three VIP (very important people) in common.  My husband/her son, my children/her grandchildren.  That's where it begins and ends...it has worked, finally.  We finally are able to be in the same room together without me feeling like I wanted to do things.....I worked on that, lol.  I know it may sound harsh that I would even have that feeling but the truth is the truth.  (I've learned about myself)  We keep conversations to just kids and current events and it is a relief.  We are actually able to have conversations without her giving me "advice" and without me becoming obviously and painfully uninterested.  Two things that bothered us about one another. 

My wedding day was beautiful.  At the last minute before the ceremony, the officiant asked if he could throw in a rose ceremony for the mothers.  I did say yes, I don't know if it was because it was my wedding day.  I was in a really agreeable mood or because I was ticked that my bridesmaids were half an hour late and I wanted everyone out the dressing room so I just said whatever to get people out, LOL.....whew!?!  (That irritation melted away when I walked down the aisle)  His mother loved the rose ceremony and just cried her eyes out (even though she cries about any and everything, lol she's ok with me laughing at her crying).

I have learned that I had to give a little, so I did.  She wants to talk and chit chat, I don't want unsolicited advice.  I give, she gives and we get what we both want in the end.  It may not be the MIL/DIL relationship for everyone but it is working for us.

Soooo, that's it in a nutshell...lol

isitme?

SunnyDays09

welcome back and congratulations! 

It's always give and take, no?  Good luck with everything.   :)

2chickiebaby

I wanted to welcome you back, Bride2be....It sounds like you're happy being a Bride....I'm glad all went well. Good for you!!

just2baccepted

Welcome back and I'm happy things are going well for you!!