March 28, 2024, 06:30:17 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What is happening to our site?

Started by Pen, December 06, 2009, 08:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

For the second time since I found this site, I'm going to take a break from the nastiness, snarkiness and sarcasm I'm reading recently from some posters. I value wisdom, support, and gentle persuasion to see things in an alternative light; being demeaned, lectured to and 'snarked at' even if it isn't to me personally but to the MIL population in general isn't what I need right now. This is such an emotional time of year anyway, and to add abuse from strangers is a bit much.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

RedRose

December 07, 2009, 05:51:50 AM #1 Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:42:38 PM by RedRose
This site has helped me through a very difficult, emotional situation with my dil. I have read without posting for months now. I can honestly say mil's words have been most helpful to me...while dil's post make me angry most of the time.
I have been a dil and I see their points of view....but...they have not been mil's yet and I don't think they can always see my side.

2chickiebaby

I'm afraid that they are unable, because of their age to see the other side.   They think they know but they don't.  It's a fact.

I'm glad you're posting :)

2chickiebaby

There are some DILs on this board who give excellent learning advice, to see things from another point of view.  I think they are wise beyond their years many times and helpful more than they know.

We empathize with them and come to see things in a different light. I can honestly say that I just adore some of them.

When one is lecturing and not nurturing, it gives a double blow to an already hard situation for us.  We don't need that; we are hurting enough as it is.

Just as many of them have been thrown out, so have we.  We've been on both sides so we know one when we see one. 

Luise is not well right now and we need to keep her in our prayers and make this site as useful and not hurtful as we can.

All MILs are welcome, since that's what this board is designed for in the first place.... and DILs too......as long as they say what they say with respect.  They don't have to love us, just don't lecture us. 

Pen

I agree, Chickie. We need to treat each other, and ourselves, with gentle kindness right now.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

AnnieB

I think I'm the one who needs to take a break.

I'll go post elsewhere... :(   I feel like I don't belong here anymore.   

Thanks for the help I've received from those who have given it.  Apologies to Chicky and others who I seem to have offended.

Peace out.

2chickiebaby

I know it's the same with me, Anna.  I hope we can make this site one of support and nurturing, not anything else.  Everyone has a point and that point should be respected as long as it is said in a kind way.

Annieb....I'm sorry you are taking this like this.  You have been a great contributor of this site....it's for all of us.  We're all in 'not good shape' right now and need each other desperately.  That goes for you too.  Something about this season is so hard for each one in a unique way. 

I wish you'd give it another try, at least till we get past Christmas. If I've said something to you that you took wrong, I'm so sorry.  I didn't mean it.  :(