March 28, 2024, 10:50:21 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My head is about to explode!

Started by Pooh, July 22, 2011, 08:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Ok, we have no category for this...so I wrote it here.  I just need to vent really badly as I can feel my blood pressure is off the charts and I guess I'm going to get that flare I've been looking for!

Divorce final - 3 years ago.  Awarded full custody of the house with agreement that I would maintain mortgage and everything associated.   I have and finally got everything repaired, replaced and on the market in April.  Agreement was that I would not have to refinance (because I was going to sell it and didn't want to spend the thousands to refinance).  All this is in writing.

Yesterday - received a notice of judgement against my house!!!!  Why?  Because Ex has got himself thousands of dollars in debt since the divorce and since his name is still on the house too, they placed a lien against it!!!!!!  Arrrrrrrgggggggggg!!!!!!

Spoke to deed office, spoke to the attorney representing his creditor and have now spoken to Ex - which was extremely painful since I haven't spoken to him in two years.  Nothing I can do but get my own attorney if the house sales and sue Ex for the money!!!!!!!!!  He swears he knows nothing about any judgement and will find out and call me back! 

Dang it...dang it...dang it!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Errrrrrrr.....hope it goes well, Pooh!  My head was about to explode just reading that.  Are you sure he doesn't know about the deed?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

pam1

I meant lien.  No coffee yet this morning..
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Oh I'm sure he does.  How could you not owe thousands and obviously not paying it, not know.  It is a court judgement so I would think he was notified.  He's a big liar...always has been, always will be.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

RedRose

Pooh,

Oh, he knows he owes thousands...he may not have known that they put a lien on your property until they pulled up the title. A lot of people don't find out about leins on their property until they put them up for sale. Hopefully, he can pay it off and get the lein removed bacause a new buyer can't buy your home with a lein attached to it. If he is getting half the proceeds from the sales..his half could pay off the lein at closing.

Good Luck Pooh.

Sassy

luise.volta

Oh, Honey...I am so sorry.

I have seen this when I was in Real Estate. It is referred to as a silent lien and just sits there until the property changes hands.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

lancaster lady

I'm screaming for you Pooh ...... >:( >:( >:(

Pen

How frustrating! Ex-DH is the gift that keeps on giving, apparently. I hope this is resolved in your benefit, and ASAP.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

elsieshaye

Pooh, that's infuriating!  I'm so sorry it happened.  I know you'll find a way to resolve it, but I totally understand being livid. 
This too shall pass.  All is well.

amflautist

I believe you need an attorney now.  You certainly don't want your ex to continue to rack up debt that will result in yet another lien.  I can't fathom what your divorce lawyer was thinking...  This should have all been disentangled at the time of your divorce.

But think of the bright side.  It's only money.  You are free of your ex, the real headache.  I was pretty stupid financially in my divorce also.  I let my ex take almost everything, because I was too devastated to fight.  I wish I had stood up for myself - could have taken him to the cleaners, given the fact that he was the adulterer.

Pooh

July 22, 2011, 12:29:16 PM #12 Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:37:24 PM by Pooh
Thanks guys, I'm still mad.  Amflautist, same situation here.  I only kept the house (and all the bills that went with it) and my vehicle because I still had both boys living at home.   I wish I wouldn't have let him off so easy now either.   I thought I had myself pretty well covered by all the wording saying he was relinguishing all rights to everything to do with the house.  I could shoot myself now.

RedRose, he's not getting anything from the sale.  The house was granted exclusively to me. 

Because I kept the bills, the boys and didn't ask for any support, I really couldn't afford to refinance it when I knew that I was going to put it up for sale within the next two years.  I have now put another 10k into it (after the boys left) getting it all pretty and good to go. 

Pam, that made me smile!  It's hard to believe, 3 years later I am having to deal with his stupidity AGAIN!  Arrrggg.  And yes, I am beating myself up now for not refinancing it!
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Quote from: luise.volta on July 22, 2011, 10:28:44 AM
Oh, Honey...I am so sorry.

I have seen this when I was in Real Estate. It is referred to as a silent lien and just sits there until the property changes hands.

That's how they described it to me today.  The judgement doesn't technically name "the house" as being liened against, just any property with his name on it.  If I sell the house, the mortgage gets paid off first, then all other profit goes to his creditor.  Then I would have to take him to court to sue him for the money. 
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Quote from: amflautist on July 22, 2011, 11:53:49 AM
You certainly don't want your ex to continue to rack up debt that will result in yet another lien.

Excellent point...thank you!
Joseph Campbell