March 28, 2024, 09:20:44 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

The seasons they go 'round and 'round

Started by amflautist, July 18, 2011, 10:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChoiceIsYours

Pen, I really liked what you said and it's true. I think I'll get that book!

My OS has done the same distancing thing and I wish I had found this forum earlier. But then again, it was the fact that I was going through it that drove me to do a search. I had actually found Luise's old website first and that lead me here. I then read and read for about two weeks before actually joining up.

I thought I did something wrong before finding this site....I just didn't know what though! I was at a total loss in trying to figure out why my OS was distancing himself from me. Now I know that it's just how things go majority of the time, and that it from something I did or didn't do. I find great solace in that  :)

As for DIL, I had a falling out with her about two weeks ago. We both gave eachother the silent treatment afterwards. But lo and behold, she made first contact with me just yesterday. That made me feel good, but not in an evil way or anything. I just felt that we are both coming to terms and see eachother as human beings with feelings. In other words, that we WILL have our disagreements from time to time, but that not all hope is lost when a disagreement occurs. Just like with any other relationship in life.

The level of respect I have for my DIL has gone way up after this, as I hope her level of respect has also gone up for me. It's all about learning and accepting eachothers differences, and realizing that every single one of us is just seeking love and acceptance, above all else.

Pooh

I think that's great!

I think sometimes we forget that we don't always agree with the people that we have great relationships with.  I can have a spat with my best GF, we talk about it, agree to disagree and then continue shopping!  I think it's a good lesson that we all remember that if we can have a disagreement with someone we really get along with, then we can have a disagreement with someone we don't get along with so well and need to learn to let it go and move on just like our healthy relationships.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell