March 28, 2024, 04:53:44 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What to do

Started by wittsend, July 12, 2011, 06:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forever spring

Amflautist thank you very much for the TED link. It made a lot of sense to me. I shared it with others.

luise.volta

Brene Brown also has a marvelout "how to" book out that I am currently reading: "The Gifts of Imperfection" Around at $8.00 at Amazon. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I'm still waiting to hear the review by you, after you finish it.  ;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

;D ;D ;D I am not going to review i !  ;D ;D ;D

It's just too good for anyone to take the short route. My daughter read it easily in an evening. I was a bit slower but when I came to the end, I started over. I will probably read a chapter (short) before I go to sleep every night for the rest of my life. It is changing what I thought I couldn't change and explaining what I couldn't understand.

Sending love...

Pooh

Ordering it now..............

;)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

amflautist

I'm on chapter 4.  I admit that when I saw the video, I thought that I might be one of the wholesome people.  But after reading a couple of chapters in the book, I now know that underneath it all, I must really hate myself, because I am always medicating with food.  So I am on a journey to figure out why I can't extend to myself the same compassion and understanding I can extend to my family.  I want to know what makes me eat and get fat.

luise.volta

I'm with you, AF! I feel my emotions acutely...both the ups and downs...and numb myself with food to limit them. (Then I am toxic from sugar and feel worse.) We're on a learning curve here that feels like a cliff! And I also going to do the program Pooh is on for weight. Sending love...

Scoop

Yeah, I've heard the expression, it's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you.

Another thing I read recently, that I've been repeating to myself, to remind myself NOT to do it is:

"I think I'm going to go talk to some food about this."

That really struck me as so TRUE for me.

luise.volta

That is fabulous! Thank you!

elsieshaye

AF, I'm in the same boat - I actually went back to therapy to figure out why I self-medicate (and punish myself) with food.  It really helped, and I was able to start losing weight.

Scoop, I love that.  Haha, if only I could stop at "talking" to the food, and not actually consume it.  It's like the "meet the meat" scene in "The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe."  :)
This too shall pass.  All is well.

lancaster lady

I like the expression ''Live to Eat '' or ''Eat to Live ''.
No diet required at the moment , just an 18 month old to look after .
The weight is falling off !