April 19, 2024, 01:03:23 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Moving 8 hours away

Started by meanlady, July 10, 2011, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meanlady

My adult children have very little to do with me, one is an addict and the other so tied to getting approval from his father(ex) that I am barely in the picture.  I am expecting my first GC in October from this son.   To avoid all the hurt this has caused me and to move on with my life my husband and I have put a contract on a house 8 hours away.   We expect to move in about 4 years and use it as a rental until then.  This is my husbands dream and I would like to try something different also. :)  I have been talking about this for about six months and nothing has been said but now that I have a contract the son that is expecting is throwing a guilt trip at me saying that I am never going to know my GC if I move so far away.    We live 8 miles away from each other now and he only visits me twice a year on holidays.   I pop by his house about once a month but I invite myself and don't stay long.   He has lived on his own for three years and throws regular parties and I have only been invited once.   He is at in-laws house every Sunday.  I feel so guilty about this now like I am an uncaring person but I don't think I can stay here.   I see the writing on the wall that the other grandparents will naturally be much more involved and I will just be used for emergency babysitting. 

luise.volta

You have raised your family...and done a good job. You get to have your life be about your marriage and you. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

not like the movies

My husband and I have been thinking od doing the same thing. One to downsize and two to be closer to his work. I think it is a great idea. We have to do what is best for us. Adult children move when they need to or want to. Should be no different for parents. Best wishes for you new adventure. Change can be exciting.
When you pick up a stick you get both ends!

Pooh

I think it's a great idea and I bet DH is thrilled. 
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell