March 28, 2024, 12:41:39 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

The issue of forgetting to put an important person on the weddin list

Started by Mominlaw, June 06, 2011, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

It is possible that DS does not consider her to be a step sister at all.  Just moms boyfriends adult daughter.  Stepfamilies are tricky and don't get any easier even when a couple joins together with adult children. 

I do think it's not necessarily bad behavior.  We are told today so many conflicting things about weddings.  If they had invited this adult child unrelated to them there are those who would cry foul insisting that the engaged couple were only looking for a gift grab since they don't have a real relationship with this lady anyway.

You can't please everyone and I think they probably did what they thought was best in this scenario, even though it was clumsy. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Mominlaw

Thanks for all your input it helps me balance by thoughts.

Orly

You may not be aware of personal interactions that have occurred between your son and your SO's daughter....sounds like there have been some background sniping happening between them and they handled it without letting it spill over onto you.  Let it go as to the wedding invite.

alicewonder007

It may also be possible that they have cut other people from the guest list who are loosely "related". If so, inviting your SO DD may violate this principle. I know that we had to cut certain "groups" of people from our wedding. In order to not make anyone feel slighted-we stuck to our guns. As much as I had a friend or two from work that I really wanted there, we agreed no co-workers rather than have some get their feelings hurt. We did the same with second cousins. Or simply your DS just doesn't like her and no one wants someone they don't like in attendance on what should be the happiest day of their lives.