March 28, 2024, 10:46:57 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Have you ever?

Started by Pooh, June 02, 2011, 11:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Ok, this is the silly side of me, but it drove me bonkers at lunch!

Have you ever had a fly in the car with you and you roll the window down to get it out.  You think it went out and you roll the window back up, only to have it buzz up into your face a minute later.  The wind just apparently pushed it down somewhere...so you repeat the process, over and over, trying to get the little bugger out and he just buzzes back by you laughing.  Then you look around and realize the cars next to you are laughing because you look like a lunatic yelling at the fly???

Ok, yeah that's how my lunch hour went! Lol.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

LOL no, I can't say I have.  Funny

Have you ever heard a bird whistling and when you've gone to several windows to find it and finally give up and sit back down....realize it was your nose the whole time?  I had a horrible sinus infection a few months ago and my nose was whistling dixie.  I swore there was a bird on the window sill somewhere, kept running from window to window to find it....come to find out my DD had to tell me it was my own schnoze.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Ha ha ha...can't say I have
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

lancaster lady

Happened to me once with a wasp .....a real stinger !
I had all the windows down and was screaming !...lol
I know they have to land on you before they sting ......but even so ...scary !
Never thought to pull over ...haha

SassyDI

DD screams "Ladybug"  I was like yeah ok turns out went to get something from the car later and there it was.  DD hates bugs so its been a little rough when they fly into our house or car.

Pooh

I am not a bug fan either!  I really, really don't like wasps, hornets, or any other kind of bee.  Ladybugs don't bother me, but I don't want them on me either.
Joseph Campbell

Sassy

Once I was stopped at a red light in Tucson, Arizona on my way to a lunch.   The car suddenly filled up with a cloud of sand and orange dirt, just like that.    After I wiped my eyes I saw my car was coated in orange inside and out, but the car on my left was just fine.  The driver was laughing at me.  Everything else around me looked clean, and it was freaky.  I showed up on time but a dirty mess hair to shoes.   I found out from the maitre d it was called a dust devil. 

Pooh

Whoa.  Never heard of that before.  Looks like I will be in Tucson sometime around the end of August to early September...I will hopefully not run into one of those!
Joseph Campbell

SassyDI

Poor DD last night we went for a walk and along the way my DH found a Caterpiller walking on the big drive way of another condo in our sub.  DH showed DD and she was watching it crawl around.  Then she began to talk about how hungry he was because she loves the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.  It was very cute and then she said goodbye to the caterpiller and we went home.  Around 11 something last night she woke up crying I go in her room and she is sitting up looking all over.  The says "Caterpiller is climbing on my bed."  Half awake I try to explain what a dream is and she just says "I scared I just want my mommy."  Poor little thing.  I held her and brought her into our room where she snuggled daddy for a minute(She asked for him) then took her back to bed.  She was still looking for the caterpiller but then settled in and went to sleep.

lancaster lady

That's so cute .....you wonder what goes on in their little minds .... :)

Pooh

Aww...poor baby.  I remember watching mine sleep and their little legs would kick and squirm and I would wonder what kind of dreams they had at that age.

Well, let me tell you guys about my ordeal last night!  ONLY ME!!!  It's long, sorry.

I finally found a hair stylist I like.  Went to her a couple of months ago and she was great with my color.  Because of our tornadoes, I cancelled my appointment and said I would have to call back and reschedule.  So last week I called (cause let me tell you the gray was in rare form after 2 months!) and they tell me that she has left. So the owner of the shop offered to do it if I was Ok with it.  I was willing to try her.  One thing I like about this shop is that on Tuesdays and Thursday, they stay open late so I can make appointments after work.  So, 2nd time in this salon, 1st time with this lady.  My apt is at 6:30.

So I go, and I really like this lady.  My age, owned the shop for 12 years and is co-owner to the tanning salon next door.  We yack and yack (as we all know hair stylists minor in therapy..Lol) and we are getting along great.  She puts gazillions of foil in my hair and then the brown color on the rest and sticks me under the baker.  It is just me and her there.  She comes back in about 5 minutes, checks a foil and says, "Probably about 10 more minutes", sets the timer and walks over to the tanning salon.  (There is a door in between)

So my timer goes over, the baker turns off and I sit there.  About 5 minutes goes by and I am thinking she didn't hear it, so I get up and walk over to the tanning salon.  No one at the counter or entire front of store.  (It stays open til 10).  So I kind of yell, "Hello" and a ladies voice yells back "Be right there!"  So I walk back in the salon side and wander around, reading bottles and such.  Well about 10 minutes go by and now I'm thinking, "Ok, this color has to be done and I know from years of coloring, it needs to come off."  So I'm walking back that way and this older lady comes running through the door from the tanning salon yelling, "I am so sorry.  XXXX is very sick.  She came over here, said she felt funny and almost fainted.  She's back there having a hard time breathing, very red and still feels faint.  She's never done this in the 12 years we have been here.  Her best friend is on her way to take her to the emergency room!  I'm trying to get in touch with another stylist to come in!"

Ok, so my 911 kicks in and I'm all worried about her, checking symptoms and such.  Find out she's been dieting heavy for 3 days...her symptoms all point to maybe a sugar drop.  She was breathing, just kind of hyperventilating.  So friend gets there, scoops her into the vehicle and off they go.  Now, I'm standing there in this salon, color on my hair, thinking, "Uh oh".  So I tell the older lady, "Ok, if you can just help me wash the color out, I'll be good."  She's all apologizing going, "Honey, I know nothing about hair that's why I am trying desperately to get another stylist in here."  I'm trying to tell her that the color needs to come off now and she's apologizing, answering her phone because the owner is having her friend call and apologize to me...I mean, they were so sweet and nice and panicked.

So her friends Mother comes walking thru the door about then.  Her daughter had text her and told her what was happening and could she go down to the shop and watch it for a while.  She looks at me and says, "OMG!  I didn't know she actually had a client still here!"  She starts panicking and so I go through the speil again, "Look, help me wash the color off and we will be good."  She was so funny.  She said ok, but I have no idea what I am doing.  We got back there and I was telling her how to do it from years of experience of having it done.  She finally got the sprayer on, sprayed the walls...the ceiling....me....the floor.......I mean it was a scene straight out of "I Love Lucy".  She about pulled my hair out getting the foils out, I had color running everywhere.....I could not stop laughing...I was in tears.  She was apologizing and apologizing and I am laughing....the older lady from next door kept running over to try and help, but having to watch the tanning salon and was apologizing and apologizing, and running back next door.

So she finally gets the majority out and I assured her that it was ok, the color was now neutralized and I would go home and get in the shower and get the rest.  Told her I would come back and get it trimmed another day...kept assuring her it was ok.  They are calling from the emergency room every few minutes checking on me.  She felt so bad and was worried to death about me.  I kept telling them all, "It's Ok, no one did anything.  Who would have thought?" while I'm praying that my hair doesn't start falling out.  So we get a towel, get the water out and I'm taking the soaked smock off, when a young girl comes tearing through the shop screaming, "I'm here! I'm here!"  It was one of her other stylists who is in her pajamas and apologizing to me "I had the baby in the tub and didn't hear my phone! I am so sorry!  Where we at?"  I am now laughing so hard I can't talk.  So I finally manage to tell her what we have done, she takes one look at it and says, "Ummm, let's wash it again".

She was very sweet and finished my hair.  My hair is just fine because we got in neutralized in time, although I am quite blonde today from it being on there extra long.  They felt so bad that they didn't charge me anything (which normally costs me $130) and I got home at 11:00!

ONLY ME!!!!
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Pooh, that sounds like a scene that should have been in Steel Magnolias. At least it didn't turn out too dark!(Don't ask how I know.) I hope the other client is OK now. She may have been dehydrated too, it seems to be a recent epidemic for some reason.

To answer your question, LOL, yes, I have! If by "have" you mean did I compliantly sit in a chair instead of getting up and walking out while a stranger with some serious emotional issues took out all her aggression on me and poor hair?

DH was starting a business and a client threw a holiday cocktail party as a meet & greet for him...important people, yadda yadda. I suddenly realized my hair could use a spruce (busy mom w/2 jobs, lucky to even be dressed every day) so I made an app't wherever I could find an opening. As I sat waiting, a stylist was talking to her client about being considered legally blind but that it didn't affect her styling ability. I thought Yikes! Dear God, please please please let my stylist be the hip young thing at next station and not the blind woman! My prayer was answered...but be careful what you wish for...

I open the book to the style I want, the hip young thing slams it shut. OK....She starts hacking away, I open the book again & she slams it shut again. I say "Please, don't go short, DH likes a little length." She grimaces and renews her hacking with greater vigor, saying "Your husband? I hate men! I'm in the middle of a nasty divorce! My ex cheated on me w/my best friend!" Then she starts talking about a very recent & frightening earthquake in our area, "I was terrified! The bed was shaking so hard. My hands were strapped in (whaa???) so I couldn't duck and cover because I was in the detox/mental ward; I'd flipped out the day before on drugs."

When I got home DH told me I looked like the androgynous "Pat" from old SNL. I cried.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

You are right, it would have fit perfectly in Steel Magnolias.  I checked on her this morning.  Apparently she had started a diet 3 days ago.  Prior to that, she was a sugar addict and they said her sugar levels had bottomed out due to her going off sugar cold turkey.  I'm glad it wasn't something more serious.

Yikes!  You poor thing.  I would have had to whip around and start whacking her hair!
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Wow, both of those seem like out of a movie lol

Men haters tend to make me slightly nervous, I can't imagine one cutting my hair Pen!  Androgynous Pat made me LOL. 

Pooh, that poor lady.  That was so nice for you to check in on her.  Hey, at least you got your summer blonde going on ;) 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Which would be great if I could tan....I just turn a darker shade of white....
Joseph Campbell