March 28, 2024, 02:56:11 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Clarification on Forum Rules

Started by pam1, June 02, 2011, 06:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

If you request your membership to be deleted, your request will be complied with along with permanent banning from WWU. If you need a break from the board, by all means take a break.  In escalating your personal situation into a public announcement to revoke membership is pot stirring and unneeded.  You are responsible for your posting habits and comfort level.  Not Luise, not the Mods.  *You* 

Should you resign up under another username we can't stop you.  However, if we catch you it is automatic banning. 

Second, emails.  It has come to my attention that emails off board have been used to intimidate and harass posters.  Please be aware in posting your email for public knowledge that this could happen -- it is the internet after all.  If you do find this happening to you please contact a Mod to rectify the situation.

Any questions?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

overwhelmed123

Yes- why was Laurie banned then, I didn't see a thread from her that was an announcement.  Did I miss it?

pam1

Laurie requested her membership be terminated. 

overwhelmed123

Then she was banned, why is there a big Area 51 cover up going on about it?

pam1

No, she asked her membership to be revoked.  She chose to leave, it is her choice and it was respected.

overwhelmed123

Right- and then she was told she was permanently banned, but she didn't post a thread about it so I'm wondering what the excuse is there. Are you part of the cover up, too, or were you just not told what really happened?

overwhelmed123

Oh, the software.  It was the software the whole time. Silly me!

pam1

The forum software cannot tell the difference between a real "ban" and when a member terminates on their own.  Therefore it is permanent.  There is no cover up, no conspiracy.  Laurie emailed Kirk directly to have her membership deleted, her request was complied with.  End of story.

overwhelmed123

And there was nothing that led up to that, right?

pam1

I trust Laurie had her reasons for requesting her membership canceled.

Are you suggesting that the site not comply with a posters wishes concerning their account? 

overwhelmed123

No, I'm just wondering why Pooh just said it's just the software, but you just posted this thread saying that the reason for banning was because it was "ruffling the feathers," AND additionally that if it was found out that you came back under a different name, you'd be banned for that too.  That's not software, that's human choice. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Although, I don't think posters wished their email addresses become public to people they were not emailing.  But hey, you'd have to ask them.

pam1

No, you're grasping.  I clearly did not say it was ruffling feathers nor did I give a long drawn out explanation b/c frankly, I didn't think anyone needed it.  It seems more than obvious to me at least lol you ask to cancel your membership that you don't want to post. 

Why would anyone be concerned with being banned if they declined to keep their account active?

overwhelmed123

Quote from: pam1 on June 02, 2011, 06:20:35 AM
If you request your membership to be deleted, your request will be complied with along with permanent banning from WWU. If you need a break from the board, by all means take a break.  In escalating your personal situation into a public announcement to revoke membership is pot stirring and unneeded. 

Should you resign up under another username we can't stop you.  However, if we catch you it is automatic banning. 

That's not grasping.  You wrote it all yourself under a post titled "clarification."  If you wanted to clarify and there's a software and it's nothing but that, wouldn't it have been much simpler to say so?  I'm sorry, you didn't say ruffling feathers, that was me.  You did say pot stirring.

I can't speak for anyone else so I can't answer your question.  I just know after what I heard, I was very disappointed to find out there are people here who pretend to be something they are not.  And to pretend Laurie just decided to up and leave out of thin air is not even believable, even to the members who don't know what really happened.

pam1

In any case, I left questions open to clarify rules, not to rehash other posters decisions.  It is my opinion that the software glitch doesn't really matter, it is what it is and since that is our reality and the reality is that many posters who ask to terminate and make a big stink about it often come back with a new username and pot stir some more.

It is also just my opinion and I'm not speaking on behalf of any mod or Luise here -- that the drama surrounding public announcements and revoking is petty and drama fueled.  It's simple IMO, you decline to participate -- don't whine two days later that you can't log on.  Not a hard concept.  You are creating work for the tech gurus who are unpaid in running/creating WWU.  And as such, this is the best way at the time we know how to deal with it. 

I personally respect all parties privacy and I would hope others would do the same regardless of what they think happened.  It is also of my personal opinion that not everyone needs to know what has happened between two people.  I do not speak for others.

Personally OW, I'm more than a little surprised that you would somehow imply that *I* would be involved in some kind of cover up or immoral behavior.  Thought you knew me better than that.  C'est la vie

overwhelmed123

Pam, I thought I did too!  That's why I was so surprised to hear it from you!  I thought...Pam, where did you go?  I didn't know if you were a participant or just told wrong.  That's why I asked you about it.