March 28, 2024, 12:47:08 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Activities for FIL

Started by AnonymousDIL, May 23, 2011, 07:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnonymousDIL

SassyDI

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on May 25, 2011, 08:04:06 AM
5 times rude! lol

Well 6 then lol.  My first rude was not showing up for dinner.  2nd was coming over for dessert with friends in tow.

Pen

ADIL, I hope it all works out. Your weekend trip was beginning to sound fun, actually...now stressful. IMO your MIL thinks she needs attention and cannot back off right now or wait until it's her turn. I feel sorry for her in a way...she's letting her pain and neediness affect the rest of you, which will ultimately backfire on her. If only she was a WW! 
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Sassy

Hi Anon.  Whatever happens, it will be fun.    I hope you FIL and YBIL get to go fishing.   That's if YBIL still wants to come without his friend (which would not be your fault at all). 

Since you're concerned MIL might drive YBIL's friend up anyway, I was hoping DH could call MIL himself, and tell her that YBIL's friend wasn't invited, even if YBIL told her he was.  He could remind her he's not going to be there for most of it, and he  doesn't want his wife sleeping in a tent with a guy who pulled a toy gun on him pretending it was real. At least not without him there as your husband.    I imagine MIL might feel she's missing out (again, not your fault at all). MIL driving up YBIL's friend as a favor for YBIL might be a good excuse for her to become part of it.  If DH makes clear to MIL the respect he expects, for the invitation and the sleeping arrangements, that could prevent a lot.

AnonymousDIL

Sounds like YBIL isn't coming. At least that was the last I heard from FIL. I feel bad that he won't get to spend quality time with his youngest son, but not my fault.  :-\

MIL doesn't know that DH won't be there this weekend. Long and Short of it, DH didn't tell his mom that he is taking the truck driving courses because he knows she will not "approve" of his decision. He works in city government right now, but with this economy there is a threat that his position will be eliminated. So he wants to avoid any added stress from her at this point (we, as in I lol, have not been handling his being gone every weekend and only seeing him weeknights very well).

FIL was a truck driver (home every night, mind you) and MIL's FOO (and MIL) drug him through the mud like he was the scum of the earth and didn't deserve to worship the ameobas growing in the mud that was lining the bottom of MIL's shoes. Soooooo, I completely understand where DH is coming from, but she is going to find out eventually anyway. His career is not her decision to make. And she needs to deal with that. (And so does he.)

Sassy

You're going to have a wonderful time.    Yes, it's sad for FIL that YBIL doesn't want to spend time with him.  But you do, and you will, and I know that will mean a lot to FIL.  Fishing is better with two, anyway.   How nice DH gets to join you for dinner. Why does food taste so much better outside and when when you're camping?! 

Remember, if you get unwanted phone calls when you're camping, that spotty cell service is the perfect reason not to pick up.

AnonymousDIL

Beautiful weekend! We all had a wonderful time. No YBIL, Friend or surprise visit from MIL. We didn't catch a thing fidhing, but DM's BF caught a big mouth bass! It was absolutely lovely! So peaceful! Looking forward to the next trip.

DM went to my uncle's picnic and had a wonderful time. She said DB looked miserable because SIL was her princess self ordering him around. DM said she hated seeing her son ordered around like that. (I'm laughing inside haha). He must be happy that way or he would do something about it.

pam1

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Good deal!  So glad it went well.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Sassy

It's nice to read about your beautiful weekend.  :D

holliberri

I was enjoying the beautiful weather on Saturday and I was hoping you had a good time! Glad all went well!