March 28, 2024, 01:36:22 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

ulterior motive? LOL!

Started by meanlady, May 29, 2011, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meanlady

I don't think she was trying to kill me. :D LOL!  I think I was close to the highway and she knows I am an animal lover and I will bend over backwards for most people.  I normally don't hear from her at all because she is BFF with my ex-husbands new wife.   FDIL barely looks me in the eye and tolerates me only on holidays.  My relationship with ex and his wife is not the best!   Ex was a cocaine alcoholic who abandoned us when kids were young and all he left behind was an STD.  LOL!  No child support and his drunk new wife tells me what a bad mom I was even though she never had kids and she was with my ex during his deadbeat years.  My son is just like his dad so I am sure FDIL will have her share of hard knocks. :'(

Keys Girl

I never for a second thought that anyone was trying to kill anyone else.......my apologies if anyone got that impression.

My sole purpose in posting what I did was to agree with Donna and point out that everyone's paperwork should be ready for any type of unexpected event.
Since this whole website is devoted to helping women deal with contentious relationships, it doesn't make sense to overlook the legal aspect that could suddenly be called into play.  It's a prudent course of action, one that many people forget to change or want to deal with.

"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

holliberri

Oh, I think it is pretty wise for all of us to do that. Even if you have it done, the paperwork should be dusted off once in awhile for an update. It's so easy to forget and it's not a pleasant thought to begin with, that a lot of people put it off.

Keys Girl

I have to say it crossed my mind, if there was a kitten......... how did it get onto a median through lanes of traffic? without getting injured and not wind up on YouTube?

I would keep my distance from her, take care of yourself first and leave the rescuing of anyone and everyone else to the professionals.
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

Pooh

Quote from: Keys Girl on May 31, 2011, 08:01:58 PM
I have to say it crossed my mind, if there was a kitten......... how did it get onto a median through lanes of traffic? without getting injured and not wind up on YouTube?

I would keep my distance from her, take care of yourself first and leave the rescuing of anyone and everyone else to the professionals.

It always boggles my mind too Keys, but we have it happen here at least 2-3 times a year. (Our jurisdiction includes a big interstate).  I don't know how they manage to get across without getting killed.  We send animal control, which has lights and equipped to deal with the traffic and animal.  They normally also get a couple of officers too to help with traffic and to let people know something is happening.  It never fails, if the animal is skiddish, they run straight back into traffic when the control officer tries to lure it.  That's actually when it get really dangerous.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Well, that's the answer. She should have called 911. Or if she called you, then it was your turn to call them. I honestly didn't know they answered calls for animals in distress. Thanks, Pooh!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

pam1

Eh, I probably would have gone out there for it but then again no one ever said I was super bright lol.  We grew up catching and taking in strays so it really didn't strike me as something serious.  I know the highway is dangerous so if I couldn't get out there -- I would have just called animal control.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Quote from: luise.volta on June 01, 2011, 07:36:24 AM
Well, that's the answer. She should have called 911. Or if she called you, then it was your turn to call them. I honestly didn't know they answered calls for animals in distress. Thanks, Pooh!

Yes, they will.  IF they have animal control.  Many rural areas don't have animal control departments, but I don't know of any that have an animal control department that wouldn't go on a call like that.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Firefighters will go out there too. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Not here they will not anymore.
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

We have many of those here too Donna, but all of ours are privately funded by individuals and organizations.  I'm not disagreeing with you, I do value human life in the scenario you gave above an animal, but I also see where each individual has the right to decide where their money goes.  I have also seen in my profession where individuals have tortured animals on purpose for fun.  In that scenario, I value the animal over the individual.
Joseph Campbell

lcollins

dont let it bother you. you tried. what else were you supposed to do. at least you didnt throw up your hands and say who cares?! lol

MotherOf3

Wow... I'm almost speechless.  :o  I would have laughed in her face (or in her ear).  Seriously?  You saw a kitten on the freeway and want me to go find it and rescue it?  I am as sympathetic as the next person but that is beyond strange.  And if she had the nerve to say that I was in the wrong for NOT doing it then I would kindly point out that SHE was the one that (supposedly) saw the kitten but couldn't take the time to miss an oh-so-important book signing to rescue it herself.

I find that people are often too willing to insist that others follow their ideas of what should be done, even if they themselves find it inconvenient to do so.  If she was that concerned then it was up to her to take responsibility for it.

justanoldgrandma

This is something else!  I can't say anything about your FDIL that I haven't already said...... wow!

Hopefully one f these days she will grow up and not be so sulky; probably when her own DD or DIL treats her that way!  You know, you reap what you sow!

BTW, I wasn't sure about what you meant by the paperwork (changing it) but if you really meant having her in the will or as part of power of attorney along w ds (I'm assuming all this as I don't know your history), when my dh & I finally made out a will, we gave power of attorney and left only to them what little assets may be left at our deaths.....

My sis asked, what about your dil (had only one then.)  Are you leaving her out?  We simply said, yes, ds can make out a will and leave his assets to her and any children.  In case of divorce, ds should provide for children and alimony if divorce calls for it.  (We didn't go into any of that.)

We already know dil was seriously unstable and even if she had been, w the divorce rate so high, I would hesitate leaving half of the assets to the dil bc you never know when or if the marriage might not make it...... since a divorce may occur for ds, so glad we did this bc otherwise we'd probably forget to change the will and the ex dil would get some assets (no children involved) and well, ds will need whatever is left when we die!

I'm sorry to turn this comical yet insulting sitcom into a serious discussion of wills/power of attorney esp. if that's not what you meant.....just glad we decided ds alone would be the inherited one.....

I know many of you have wonderful dils and want them to be in the will, so please ignore this should be the case!

(again, you may not have meant that!)  I just mentioned it bc the lawyer asked if we wanted dil in the will/power of attorney, and we said, uh, no!