March 28, 2024, 02:59:00 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What do you think of grandma baby showers?

Started by pam1, May 23, 2011, 02:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

With all the talk of babies and I just got an invite to another grandma baby shower....I'm wondering what you all think of these things?  I already RSVP'd no b/c I don't do showers anymore lol. 

But I can't help but feeling this is a strange thing to do and honestly, it leaves me with a negative impression of this particular Grandma.  I don't really understand a lot of stuff people think they need for a baby, I found that babies use way less and showers aren't typical in my growing up culture.  But I realize that we aren't so mainstream sooo

Your thoughts?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

overwhelmed123

I think they are strange, strange, strange and I would probably not ever attend one.  Just seems like an attention grab or gift grab.  Weird.  And it would definitely leave me of a negative impression of the Grandma who wanted this attention for herself.

pam1

Yes, the attention and gifts are what struck me.  How much does this kid need?  lol and why is grandma getting it?  Is there something I'm missing here?  lol

overwhelmed123

I can deal with showers, but not for someone who was not involved in the conception of said baby!

pam1

LOL OW, if I get lucky enough maybe our fertility docs will throw a shower for our baby! 

LaurieS

I'm thinking .. can I have a MIL-to-be shower?  I wouldn't mind the trip my dd is looking at

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: overwhelmed123 on May 23, 2011, 02:21:16 PM
I can deal with showers, but not for someone who was not involved in the conception of said baby!

LOL!!! Hilarious!

I completely agree. I think it is tasteless for a G-ma to have a "baby shower." And it comes across as "I better be baby-sitting a LOT because my friends got me all these gifts." lol

LaurieS

but do the gifts stay with the grandmother or are they passed through the grandmother to the mother and new baby?  I mean is it a shower for the baby that excludes the fat lady?

pam1

From what I know, it stays with Grandma.  I was looking at this invite and just checked out the link to the registry, it's under Grandma's name.  I also have the invite and link to Moms registry and she has all of her stuff on there, most has been purchased.  I doubt she's looking to get a second crib, so I'm betting that is staying at Grandma's.

SassyDI

THis is so werid to me why would a Gma need a shower.  It sounds like woman who want attention because she wants to get the attention away from Mother to be.  The one your invited to is this the MIL or mother of the woamn? 

pam1

This is the mother of the mother to be getting the grandma shower.

They are old family friends and I really haven't kept up with them too much, I should ring my sister to get the scoop on the family dynamic lol.

overwhelmed123

SassyDI, I don't think we can assume she wants to TAKE the attention AWAY from the mother to be, but I think she does want attention for her daughter's pregnancy.  Not to take from someone else, just to feel important herself.  We don't really know her so we can only go on what we know- which is...well, she doesn't mind the attention. :)

SassyDI

Quote from: overwhelmed123 on May 23, 2011, 05:31:18 PM
SassyDI, I don't think we can assume she wants to TAKE the attention AWAY from the mother to be, but I think she does want attention for her daughter's pregnancy.  Not to take from someone else, just to feel important herself.  We don't really know her so we can only go on what we know- which is...well, she doesn't mind the attention. :)

I wasn't just talking about just this woman.  In general I would think if a grandma was to have a shower she wanted attention that mother to be was getting. 

SassyDI

Heck my sister just had a bridal shower can I start a trend where the older sister of the bride gets one.  LOL I want some new kitchen stuff

overwhelmed123

I think they just want attention for being a grandma...they're a little confused about what the title really is and means. :)