March 29, 2024, 05:07:13 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What do you think of grandma baby showers?

Started by pam1, May 23, 2011, 02:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

Quote from: Holly on May 24, 2011, 09:17:01 AM
Laurie, I don't think what Pen did was offensive, I rather thought it was funny. I'll take it down if someone finds offense, but it was a joke...not even a mean one.  I haven't edited anyone for using that word and I haven't scolded anyone either.

I was being sarcastic and it wasn't you Holly who edited me, but you knew that :)

Pooh

I guess I am finding this a tad ironic.  Many of the issues we have here are with people telling people how to do things. Offering up suggestions, opinions or demands on what is considered "their event".  Yet, I'm reading this post and finding that everyone has definite opinions on what people "should" or "shouldn't" do, but very little tolerance for people that want to offer them suggestions on "their event". 

If I am happy for them, even if I wouldn't have done it the way they are, I go and support their decision to be able to have any type of party, event or ceremony that they want.  I don't feel obligated to buy anything, I do it when I want to.  I have actually attended two different weddings where they had already been married at a courthouse (each had their own reasons) and I took them a present.   I always like to practice manners, but I am not a big follower of etiquette.  I feel like if I decided to have a "Hey!  My colorist did great on my fake blonde color this time!" party, I can.  I would send out invitations to those that I would like to have at my party.  It's their choice if they participate, and it's my choice to have it.  If I got that invitation from one of my girlfriends, I would take her some new barrettes!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

I do believe if I ever get these split ends cut off....I will throw the event if the season...maybe twice.

LaurieS

hey I was excited when I streaked my hair gray... so far 5 weeks later you don't see a big color difference with new growth.. now if it hadn't cost me 170.00 I'd have money for a party.... maybe I can register for a veggie tray

Pooh

My Mom gave my YS a "Toddler Shower" when he finally got to see his DD.  It was a great way for people to meet her and even though he didn't register anywhere, many people brought presents.  It helped him out to have some things for her since he had spent pretty much his last dime and mine on lawyers.  My Mom and I caught some flack from people saying it was inappropriate to have that shower.  Gifts were not expected, but they were appreciated.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

I was 3 at the shower my mom had for me. I think they registered. She was still my mom then. I do remember getting a Cabbage Patch Kid that day too, lol.

Pooh

This one kind of turned into a big ole' "get toys" party for DD too.  That's ok, she loved it and it allowed us to spend money on the more practical things.
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Pooh on May 24, 2011, 12:49:28 PM
I guess I am finding this a tad ironic.  Many of the issues we have here are with people telling people how to do things. Offering up suggestions, opinions or demands on what is considered "their event".  Yet, I'm reading this post and finding that everyone has definite opinions on what people "should" or "shouldn't" do, but very little tolerance for people that want to offer them suggestions on "their event". 

If I am happy for them, even if I wouldn't have done it the way they are, I go and support their decision to be able to have any type of party, event or ceremony that they want.  I don't feel obligated to buy anything, I do it when I want to.  I have actually attended two different weddings where they had already been married at a courthouse (each had their own reasons) and I took them a present.   I always like to practice manners, but I am not a big follower of etiquette.  I feel like if I decided to have a "Hey!  My colorist did great on my fake blonde color this time!" party, I can.  I would send out invitations to those that I would like to have at my party.  It's their choice if they participate, and it's my choice to have it.  If I got that invitation from one of my girlfriends, I would take her some new barrettes!

I totally want an invite!!!! Is your hair long or short? I need to know what kind of hair accessory to get. ;-)

AnonymousDIL

Pooh, the "Toddler Shower" sounds awesome. Did YS get custody at that point?

Think about it. Say you adopt a 2 year old. The kid is going to need a LOT of stuff. Why not have a "Welcome to the Family Shower."

holliberri

I know I keep talking about adoption...lol. But, the social workers asked us to wait until tehe adoption was finalized stateside (6 months after the child is brought home) to have a welcoming party. They have found that parties are traumatic on the children that are adopted at an older age, so it is a requirement to wait. LOL, you get so excited about this and you want to celebrate...forgetting that a little one is going through major adjustments.

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Holly on May 24, 2011, 01:35:14 PM
I know I keep talking about adoption...lol. But, the social workers asked us to wait until tehe adoption was finalized stateside (6 months after the child is brought home) to have a welcoming party. They have found that parties are traumatic on the children that are adopted at an older age, so it is a requirement to wait. LOL, you get so excited about this and you want to celebrate...forgetting that a little one is going through major adjustments.

That would be sooo hard for me too! I would just be soooo excited to have a child in my life that I would want to introduce them to everyone that I know!

SassyDI

I see nothing wrong with having a shower for someone who is adopting or like your YS did.  Here we call a 2nd shower a sprinkle.  We had one for our friend infact she had several.  She didn't regestor though she had all the big stuff but we got her a big cookie that said congrats and we bough her a gift. 

SassyDI

Quote from: Holly on May 24, 2011, 01:35:14 PM

Adoption is a special thing and when it comes to older children I truely believe it takes a special person.  I hear so many stories about people adtopting struggling because the kid isn't adjusting right or they feel plain out the kid doesn't love or trust me.  Well of course he or she doesn't they have had a pretty rough life.  If I adopted I would probably go for the older child but not older then DD and that would be far down the road.

overwhelmed123

FWIW, Pooh, I really don't know how my post got so misconstrued.  Nobody said anything about should or should nots when it comes to throwing a party.  The center of it was including a registry- therefore expecting people to buy you things.  Making them feel like they have to. 

My gosh, I think this is the first time I have felt like my words were completely taken out of context on this site.  I don't know how to say it differently than I've already said it.  I wasn't saying anyone should or shouldn't have a party for whatever the heck they want to have a party for.  But if you have a "hey I colored my hair party" and picked out a registry, and included it on your invitations...well, then that's a different level. 

Pooh

I don't know OW...does "Goody's Hair Products" have a website????  You know I know what you mean.  I really haven't had many people send me registry info.  A couple of weddings, a couple of showers and a niece that registered stuff on amazon because we kept asking what we could buy for the little one (she lives a couple of states away from everyone).  I just looked at the kinds of stuff they picked, and then went with what my budget could afford.

ADIL, I'm growing it out...it's shoulder length!  ;)
Joseph Campbell