March 28, 2024, 09:53:18 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What do you think of grandma baby showers?

Started by pam1, May 23, 2011, 02:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

LOL, can I have a shower since my dog is knocked up?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

SassyDI

Quote from: pam1 on May 23, 2011, 05:39:59 PM
LOL, can I have a shower since my dog is knocked up?

HAHAHAHAHA maybe we could start doggie mommy showers that would be cool.  Surprise someone hasn't thought of that.  I need to market that.

pam1

Yeah, it would probably be a hit.  Have you seen those doggie spas?  They make my head spin.

SassyDI

Quote from: pam1 on May 23, 2011, 05:44:00 PM
Yeah, it would probably be a hit.  Have you seen those doggie spas?  They make my head spin.

Nope not really a dog person.  Crazy beagle a cat along with DH's injury and new baby turned me off.  We had to give him away because he was just to much with no fenced yard.  Then my cat attacked me(he never was the same after DD was born) and so we had to put him down because the humane society wouldn't take him unless I quanitined him for 10 days and after he attacked me that wasn't happening.  So yeah animal free here until she is older then we shall see.

overwhelmed123

pam1

Oh beagles are tough!  They are the toughest dog I think I've ever trained.  I have one now that is half beagle and I can't keep him in the yard, the whole neighborhood knows him though.  He's like a rockstar, so they all bring him back and play with him.  Heck, he is how I met most of our neighbors, they come up to the fence saying his name and giving him food lol.

Pugs are easy peasy if you are ever in the market for a dog.  I know you got your hands full now, but really they just like to eat and sleep.  they stay puppies for a loooong time though, so if you do, look for one older than 2 lol. 

LOL, I'm not pushing you or anything, I'm just a huge dog lover.

SassyDI

Quote from: pam1 on May 23, 2011, 05:54:35 PM
Oh beagles are tough!  They are the toughest dog I think I've ever trained.  I have one now that is half beagle and I can't keep him in the yard, the whole neighborhood knows him though.  He's like a rockstar, so they all bring him back and play with him.  Heck, he is how I met most of our neighbors, they come up to the fence saying his name and giving him food lol.

Pugs are easy peasy if you are ever in the market for a dog.  I know you got your hands full now, but really they just like to eat and sleep.  they stay puppies for a loooong time though, so if you do, look for one older than 2 lol. 

Oh we had a pug too.  We had to put him down though because he was DH's dog and at 13 years old he was starting to get really mean towards me.  He loved me but he was very protective of dh and bite a Caregiver in the process.  He would snap at me too.  It was really hard on both of us.  He also had gotten a hold of a bottle of tums and after that he had run every day.  It was a lot of work on me.   DH and I decided together it was time to let him go.  BIL got mad at me when DH asked him to take the dog he said no.  I think he didn't want the dog pooping on his brand new carpet. 

I would get a pug not so hyper and easy to take care of.  DD loves puppys and I want her to have one but when she is old enough to remember getting one.  I want her to remember the puppy years.

SassyDI

Quote from: pam1 on May 23, 2011, 05:54:35 PM

Yeah I didn't think about all the energy a beagle has and he now lives with a wonderful family with a large backyard fenced in to run until he can run no more.

SassyDI

Ok now back on subject I don't get why a Grandma needs a crib thats what a pack and play is for.  In this econmy I don't see why people would want to got to two showers.  I just plain think its werid and I would not go if invited.  So glad my mom isn't like that, thats for sure.

holliberri

I have a friend who has a daughter who is registering for college dorm necessities. I have another friend who registered for a housewarming. I think this stuff is getting to be the norm, unfortunately.

If I knew both women, I wouldn't be buying both G-ma and mom-to-be a gift. Thus, I think I would get the mom a gift. In fact, I think that will be my rule. If I get invited to a G-ma shower, I will always find the mom-to-be to get her a gift off of her registry instead.

My mom has a carseat base and a crib, that's it. She's used each about 3 times (that is considering all 3 grandgirls).

A lunch/afternoon tea where G-ma celebrates with her closest pals about the good fortune sounds a bit more my style.

SassyDI

Quote from: Holly on May 23, 2011, 06:13:31 PM
I have a friend who has a daughter who is registering for college dorm necessities. I have another friend who registered for a housewarming. I think this stuff is getting to be the norm, unfortunately.

If I knew both women, I wouldn't be buying both G-ma and mom-to-be a gift. Thus, I think I would get the mom a gift. In fact, I think that will be my rule. If I get invited to a G-ma shower, I will always find the mom-to-be to get her a gift off of her registry instead.

My mom has a carseat base and a crib, that's it. She's used each about 3 times (that is considering all 3 grandgirls).

A lunch/afternoon tea where G-ma celebrates with her closest pals about the good fortune sounds a bit more my style.

I bought DD a carseat for my parents because well I was sick of taking mine out of my car all the time.  SO they have one that my sister and parents use.  They are the only people that take her in the car when they watch her.  DH and I are a bit picky on that due to his injury.  But thats it everything else is brought to the house when we go.  My parents don't have toy in their house unless its my old toys. 

overwhelmed123

A college dorm registry and housewarming registry? Oh those are both so ridiculously tacky! All these free.gifts I've been missing out on at every stage in life.  Hmm..my half birthday is coming up soon, I think I'll start a registry for that.

SassyDI

Quote from: overwhelmed123 on May 23, 2011, 06:22:00 PM
A college dorm registry and housewarming registry? Oh those are both so ridiculously tacky! All these free.gifts I've been missing out on at every stage in life.  Hmm..my half birthday is coming up soon, I think I'll start a registry for that.

I have done Christmas lists on toys r us but I only tell the people who aske me what to get dear daughter for Christmas.  I don't give a link or tell people about it unless they ask.  I think housewarmings are really dumb don't do them myself.  And if I go I will buy something simple but nice.

overwhelmed123

I didn't even know you were supposed to bring a gift to a housewarming party..I thought it was just to show off a new house?  Geez, I guess I need to get with the times..

holliberri

Yes, registries for any old occasion now. Some of them I just don't bother anymore. I've been invited to all of these...but never a bridal shower...which is one thing that I can justify a registry for along with a baby shower, lol.

SassyDI, I'll be honest, I bought my mom the carseat base. I wanted her to just use the carseat I had, so the base made the most sense to me. So, she really only bought the crib, and that was because DB told her "I'll be up Tuesday, you got a place for YOUR GD to sleep?" (It was Sunday). He's a charmer. If you ask me, he absolutely should have brought a pack n play, instead of expecting my mom to make accommodations.