March 28, 2024, 03:57:35 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Activities for FIL

Started by AnonymousDIL, May 23, 2011, 07:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnonymousDIL

Okay, Memorail Day is this weekend. We are going camping. DH/Me/FIL/DM/DM'sBF/maybe his daughter/maybe youngest BIL. When we scheduled this, DH was going to be there the whole time, but now he is taking weekend truck driving courses and will only be there a few hours (8pm-10pm?) on Sat. and Sun. My Uncle is having a picnic on Sunday and DM/BF will be going to that for part of the day. I was originally going to go to the picnic, but to do that now, FIL will potentially be stuck by himself. (BIL1 had to cancel for work, and YBIL probably won't be allowed to come). Soooo, I'm not planning on going to the picnic now. But, I am at a loss of what to do with FIL.

We get along great, but I have never spent this amount of time with just him. Any ideas? There are some hiking trails near where we will be, and we can take the boat out. I'm just starting to stress because it was just thrown on me last night that no one else will be there. (DB/SIL were supposed to come until, well, you know lol).

LaurieS

Backgammon, smores, hiking, reading, all those relaxing things you do while camping

AnonymousDIL

I have never associated backgammon and camping lol... I LOVE backgammon.... Might have to take my set along.

LaurieS

We use to play a lot of backgammon, cards... YAHTZEE now that is a good one too

Pooh

Does he fish?  Since you said you could take the boat out?  For that matter, do you?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

I think he fishes. DH does sometimes. I've never been fishing, but I'm not opposed to it.

LaurieS

but are you opposed to worm guts

Pooh

Well if you are not opposed to it, and he is a patient person, I find that most men like to teach someone how to fish and it seems to be a good bonding time for a man.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

According to Laura Ingalls, dough balls are the best bait! lol.. Or cheese. :-)

Pooh

Ha ha ha....depends on what you are fishing for!  I like to fish for cat, they like chicken livers....
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

Well,... It's been decided. lol

I sent DH a text about fishing licenses. I didn't know if they seel them for a weekend for cheaper (FIL is out of state and his would be higher). He replied that they do and I asked if he thought FIL would like to go fishing and then I would ask FIL. Next thing I know, I'm told where and how to buy my license because I'm going fishing with FIL LOL...

Soooo, fishing it is!

Pen

You'll have a great time. What a good sport you are! Enjoy the male bonding experience, LOL.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

AnonymousDIL

I think it will be a lot of fun. FIL says he is looking forward to it so no "Good Lord! I have to take her fishing!" *eyeroll* lol

All I know is IF, and that is a Big IF, I catch anything, I'm not throwing it back. I want to eat it! lol

Pen

When I secretly packed almonds, butter, parsley, etc. for a camping/fishing trip (didn't want Dh to feel pressured to actually catch anything) he and his fishing buddies were quite impressed that I could pull off Trout Almondine over the campfire. I was surprised too.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

That's great ADIL!  I think it is great of you for being willing to give it a go.  I also think that will make your time better because it's something he can enjoy.  Good job ADIL! 
Joseph Campbell