March 28, 2024, 02:41:21 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Speech

Started by SassyDI, May 18, 2011, 04:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SassyDI

My sister's wedding shower is coming up and I have to stand up and introduce everyone in the wedding party.  My mother and father are paying for the whole wedding minus a few things my sister is paying for.  My DM is also paying for the food at the shower.  To lighen her load I took over the rest of the shower.  My Grandma was nice enough to give some money to help out with food cost for the shower.  I also got help from some but not all of the bridesmaids. 

Now how do I go around introducing the wedding party and include FBIL mom but put the highlight on my Mom and Grandma who are paying.  Also how do say thank you to the bridesmaids that helped me without being rude to the others that did not.  I am not upset the other bridesmaids did not help as I took the help when asked.  But I want to make sure the girls get some credit for what they did after all they spent some of their hard earned money to make my sister shower beautiful.

I really wish my mother would make this speech but she did not do it for my two showers so I already knew it would fall on me. Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pooh

I'm a little confused with this one SassyDI.    I think if you want to thank the people that helped with the shower, that's different and needs to be done seperately.  I actually think your Sister should stand and thank DM, GM, Bridesmaids, You, etc. for throwing her the shower.

That would allow you to introduce everyone in the wedding party as equals and make everyone feel involved.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Oooooh tricky.  I don't think there is any polite way to show this in a speech.  Most people will come away thinking poorly of you if you do somehow manage to do it.  And with the idea that the wedding planning was one of those weddings where women acted like banshees. 

IMO, it's best to keep that stuff quiet.  Everyone already knows who did what :)
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

SassyDI

It is tricky and I am darn if I do darn if I don't.  My Grandma will be very hurt if I don't say something including her.  And my sister isn't going to thank everyone I am dong that on her behalf.  Does this sound good.

On behalf of my mom, Grandma bridal party and my sister I would like to thank you all for coming.  By the way for those of you who don't know my name is SassyDI and I am the older sister of sister.  I would like to take a moment to introduce to the mother's and Grandm's of the bride and groom.  My mom________  and granma__________ and BIL mom___________ Fbil grandma_________.  I would also like to take a moment to introduce you to rest of the bridesmaids.(then list them and maybe how they know the bride)

AnonymousDIL

May 18, 2011, 06:49:35 AM #4 Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:26:17 AM by Pooh
At my shower, SIL had all the guests intro themselves... I'm XXXXX, One of the Bridesmaids, We've been friends since college.... I'm XXXXX, Grandmother of the bride.... and so forth. It might take any pressures off of you and then each person can introduce themselves as what they want.... I'm XXXXX, Maid of Honor, Best Friend of the Bride. You may call me Your Highness lol

AnonymousDIL

Pssst! Pen and/or Pooh. I took the liberty of changing the names already to protect the inocent lol, I'll make that more obvious for you next time. like Hi, I'm Miss Fabulous, MOH, BFF of Bride. Call my Your Highness. ;-)

Pooh

Lol...I knew what you were doing, but the forum agreement says we will not use fictitious names either, so I fixed it! You know I luff ya!  ;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

SassyDI, I think that sounds good. I didn't have a shower for my weddng and I've never been to one either (lol...is that sad?) so I didn't know speeches were made. I didn't know it was a time to introduce bridesmaids and stuff. Does it have to be extravagant? (I'm not making this up, I really have never been to a bridal shower).

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Holly on May 18, 2011, 09:15:17 AM
SassyDI, I think that sounds good. I didn't have a shower for my weddng and I've never been to one either (lol...is that sad?) so I didn't know speeches were made. I didn't know it was a time to introduce bridesmaids and stuff. Does it have to be extravagant? (I'm not making this up, I really have never been to a bridal shower).

Not sad, Holly. I was only ever to mine. It was fun. We played games. Ate cake. I got cool kitchen gadgets. It was pretty nifty. But also VERY "low-key." SIL led the games, but didn't have a"speech." She probably would have freaked out... Oh, and my MIL called the MOH 7 or 8 times that day! lol

LaurieS

Yes the bridal shower was a great place for the mean mil jokes to start..and sadly it was being done by a group of church ladies who were probably all mil's .... I didn't like it.. I didn't appreciate it.... I found the snide intro into the self introductions humiliating, snide, and hurtful as it was explained that each of us would take a turn to say who we are and how we know the bride-to-be..and then actually used the example of "you can say something like I'm the dreaded future mil"   So later when the 'ladies' wanted to take the time and get to know me and invite me to their future church events I didn't fell to bad about saying.. oh I'm sorry I'm agnostic and only here because this location was free to the bride.. but thanks for asking.

AnonymousDIL

:'( That was very mean of them, Laurie.... And kinda dumb. Why wouldn't the FMIL be at the shower? Isn't the whole point as an ice-breaker family blender....... Ooooh! I'm suddenly in the more for a pina colada!

SassyDI

Quote from: Holly on May 18, 2011, 09:15:17 AM

Thanks Holly I want to make it sound nice and pleasing to everyone.  I really wish my  mother had the guts to doit.  Nope leaving me to swim in the shark tank. I don't want to step on toes but I also want to give credit to those who deserve it. 

SassyDI

Quote from: Laurie on May 18, 2011, 09:34:03 AM
Yes the bridal shower was a great place for the mean mil jokes to start..and sadly it was being done by a group of church ladies who were probably all mil's .... I didn't like it.. I didn't appreciate it.... I found the snide intro into the self introductions humiliating, snide, and hurtful as it was explained that each of us would take a turn to say who we are and how we know the bride-to-be..and then actually used the example of "you can say something like I'm the dreaded future mil"   So later when the 'ladies' wanted to take the time and get to know me and invite me to their future church events I didn't fell to bad about saying.. oh I'm sorry I'm agnostic and only here because this location was free to the bride.. but thanks for asking.

Sorry that happen to you no mean MIL jokes over here though.  I have really only met FBIL's mom once seemed nice she was on the quiet side.

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: SassyDI on May 18, 2011, 09:37:30 AM
I don't want to step on toes but I also want to give credit to those who deserve it.

Tread carefully here... Did you ASK all of the BM's to help? You said some helped more than others, but some people like to wait to be asked. You might really insult some people if you "give credit to those who deserve it."

Perhaps one of the BM's is really busy with her career. I know one of mine didn't help with the shower much because she was finishing tax season AND studying for her CPA exam. Another lives nearly 2 hours away. They are ALL very important to me and if my SIL had "given credit to those who deserve it." She would have insulted MY other friends. And well, I would not have been happy.

LaurieS

it wasn't done against me as a person.. it was done because society says that mil's are wicked... comics say it's ok as this title makes one subhuman.  My response to them was a direct attack on how they view themselves.